Chapter XXIII

- Alaric -

- Come in. – I say to the knock on the door of my work studio.

I woke up at 6 in the morning and haven't stopped working since. I'm organizing some paperwork for the construction of a new power plant for the town. Alpha Nathan did a lot to help us settle down next to River Valley. That included building houses, schools, and a power plant to supply the town's electricity. There's so much work, I need to make sure there's enough food and water for everyone, and only half of the water pipelines are up and running. There's just so much work, I'm drowning in paperwork. I hate it so much. Convel is of great help, he oversees all the construction projects and makes sure to notify the progress. Gregory is completely in charge of security for the moment, so I don't have to worry about it. He's more than capable of handling any situation. Besides, he is always quick to let me know about any problems.

- Are you busy? – Allan's face emerges.

- Yes, but what can I help you with? – I say, facing the paperwork again.

- Do you need any help with that? – he offers kindly.

- No, it's just paperwork. – I say firmly. I'm searching through loads of paper trying to find the construction plans but can't seem to find them.

- I haven't seen you in a while. – he says.

- That's why you came, to say hi? I have more important things to do right now Allan. – I tell him boldly. I'm not trying to be disrespectful; I just have a lot on my plate now. Here there are, I find the papers.

- You're right, I'm sorry. I won't distract you. – he says, turning around.

- Wait. - I rest on the chair and stretch my back. A break would be fine and he's my best friend, I should listen to him. – Is everything all right? – I ask, looking at him directly.

- Yes, I wanted to see how you were doing. – he says kindly.

- I'm fine. There are just a lot of things to do; we need another power plant, the pipelines aren't completely functional, there were some problems with the food supply and there have been more scouts' sightings. – I explain, filling him in on the situation.

- Wow, that sounds tough. – he says.

- It is. – I admit. - And then there is Nymeria, don't get me started on her. – I sigh frustrated, bringing my hands to my forehead.

- Oh, right, the whole suitor hunt. How is that going? – he says a little humorously.

- She's not talking to me. – I tell him, and he chuckles.

- I imagined she wasn't. –

- She skips classes, she doesn't follow orders, and whenever I try to speak with her, she shuts me out. I don't understand why you decided to have more kids. – I replied, frustrated.

- Hahahaha. – he laughs. – Kids are like that, Rick. They eventually come around. – he says reassuringly.

- Easy for you to say. Your son has always listened to you. – I tell him.

- Oh, trust me, I have another three kids. One of which is an 11-year-old girl driving me crazy. – he replies, making me laugh. Sons are just so much easier than daughters.

- It's different. You have Mary to hear you and help you out. I don't. – I say a little more vulnerable.

- I know... - he says lowly, respectfully. – You can always talk to me, you know? And I'm also happy to help in anything I can. – he offers kindly.

- Thanks. - I nod in response. He's always been a good friend.

- Actually, I think I have a solution for one of your problems. – he says. I frown.