Chapter LIII

- Nathan -

            Gently pulling up the blankets to cover me my alarm started ringing, disturbing my sleep. I cursed to myself before stretching my hand to turn it off. I pull my arms up, yawning loudly as I stretch myself with my eyes closed. Still refusing to wake up, I shifted in bed annoyed, throwing my arm to the side, and found that the other side of the bed was cold and empty. I opened my eyes immediately, lifting my head to see around the room but Caleb was nowhere to be found. Damnit, I was so out I didn't notice when he left. I grow sad as I see his phone on the nightstand. Wait, I can just talk to him through the mate bond. Thrilled to test my theory, I calmed myself and let the connection come to me.

- Hey, is everything okay? – I simply ask through the bond.

- Good morning, love. How'd you sleep? – the voice comes through almost immediately.

I smile internally, filled with joy at our newly discovered level of intimacy. It's comforting to feel his presence through the mate bond. The connection is strong, I can feel his emotions and whether he's stressed, happy, or in danger. For instance, right now, he's glad to be speaking with me. No wonder my parents constantly speak through the mate bond, this is so much better than a phone call.

- Not enough, I fear, I still feel a little bit tired. You know, after everything we did... – I blush a little. I can feel Caleb's joy through the bond, it's so intimate; I love it. – I was kind of hoping to wake up next to you. Where did you go? – I ask a little down.

- I'm sorry, love. I promise to make it up to you. – he assures me lovingly. – Um I had to go to a council meeting. I thought I'd be back before you woke up, but as it turns out, I must go see the elders now. – he adds, dismal and a little angry at the situation.

- Oh... that's okay. Why are you going to the elders? – I wonder, intrigued.

Thinking about it, I don't know much about the elders. Caleb hasn't spoken a lot about them and neither has his family. The amount of knowledge I have about them is almost zero. I mean, I assume they are the pack's oldest and wisest, but that's about it. Back in River Valley, elders were guides, scholars, and philosophers. People would often come to them for advice, even my parents. If Caleb is going to them, then it must be something important.

- It's about my eyes. No one knew the meaning of my eyes changing purple, not even Lawrence. The council seemed quite shocked by the revelation, so, we are going to the elders to try and find some answers. – he explained casually.

- Should I be worried?

After discovering that his eyes had changed to purple, we discussed it in bed. For the first time since I knew him, Caleb didn't know the meaning behind the color which quite honestly freaked me out a little, but he assured me it was nothing to worry about. He looked far and I didn't sense anything off through the mate bond, so we dismissed it for the night and went to sleep. As far as I knew, the only colors were gold, blue, and red. I've never heard about a werewolf with purple eyes, but for not even Lawrence, the delta, to know, it's a bit troubling.

- It's probably nothing to worry about. Maya checked me a couple of minutes ago just in case and said everything looked fine. – he dismissed casually.

- That's reassuring. If she didn't sense anything wrong, then maybe that means it's a good thing. Maybe you're evolving or something. – I say.

- Evolving into what? – he chuckles. – No, I don't think it's like that, maybe it's just something temporary. –

- Well, keep me updated, please.

- Of course, love.

- I should probably get ready for school or Maya will be pissed if I'm late. I'll tell you when I get there, okay? – I say, wondering if our connection can stretch that far.