Chapter XV

- Nathan -

- Shit! – I exclaimed, burning my hand for the fourth time and dropping the piece of metal.

My flesh stung, and I look down at it to see the red wound. Okay, breathe, calm yourself and relax. I close my eyes and begin concentrating on my breathing. Remember what Caleb taught you. Just let your body tell you what to do and go with it... Heal. I open my eyes and see the wound starting to heal itself. The red burn marking disappears, leaving the skin good as new. Thank the goddess that Caleb taught me this technique, it's still rough around the edges, but I'm getting the hang of it.

I carefully pick up the metal piece with some tweezers. Caleb's birthday is tomorrow and I'm trying to make him a metal collar. Since werewolves are vulnerable to silver, I decided to make it out of titanium. I'm trying to make the figure as exact as possible. It's a crescent moon with a wolf on its side howling. My father told me it's the Lazarus pack symbol, but the wolf right now looks more like a bear than a wolf.

- What are you doing? Mason has been looking everywhere for you – a voice surprises me from behind. I turn around to find Kaya. She looks quite distressed.

- Kaya, hey... - I greet her. – What are you doing here this late? – I asked.

- Group study, I'm on the debate team remember? – she said rhetorically. – A better question is what are you doing here on a Wednesday afternoon? – she inquired.

- You caught me, I'm trying to make a necklace. So, I thought I'd use the school's chemistry lab to do it. – I explained and turned around to lower the flame. Kaya walked to be next to me.

- You're making a necklace? – she said rather confused, her eyebrows frowning.

- Well, the pendant actually. I just can't get the figure right. – I said frustrated, letting a small gasp of air escape.

- The bear looks good. – she said with a forced uplifting tone, trying to cheer me up.

- It's supposed to be a wolf. – I countered, her eyes rose, and her jaw dropped a little.

- Oh... okay. I'm sure we can fix it. – she offered. I sighed tiredly. – Isn't a wolf and a crescent moon supposed to be the Lazarus pack symbol? –

- Yeah, it's a gift for Caleb. – I confessed. Her eyebrow rose in suspicion. – It's not what you think. We're just friends and his birthday is soon. – I added quickly.

- I didn't say anything. – she defended herself laughing.

- No, but your gesture did. –

- I'm just saying, you two have been spending a lot of time together lately. – she pointed out.

- As friends. He's with Maya and I'm dating Nadia. – I stated firmly.

- But if you weren't... – she said mockingly. I stare at her. – Okay, fine. I was just wondering. – she stopped the nagging.

- So why has Mason been looking for me? – I ask, remembering what she said earlier.

- Ilene found out Marcus's a werewolf. - she cut down to the chase.

- What! – I shouted astounded.

Marcus is a pack member just about our age. He's also one of the few werewolves who is dating a human. Ilene and he have been together for two years now. He's been thinking about telling her the truth, since the mate bond appeared a while ago, but hasn't.

- How? – I asked concerned.

- There are a lot of rumors, no one knows for sure - she sighed. – Apparently, he just lost control and attacked Noland; Ilene saw the whole thing. – she explained vaguely