Chapter X

- Caleb -

- So, what did you do yesterday? – Luke asks me as soon as the bell rang, lunchtime.

- What? – I ask startled.

I wasn't paying attention. I am too worried about the scout sightings. They have seized since last week. There have been three; Nymeria and I found the first, the second was reported by a wolf on patrol, and the last one, elites found it. Alaric was concerned about these sightings, so he ordered some elites to patrol the surroundings. Scouts can be very slippery and hard to spot. They are trained to be, but to think that even elites couldn't catch them troubles me. Very few rouge packs can stand their ground against us. Therefore most tend to stay away from us, but if scouts are lurking around; scouts which we cannot find, this only means they are strong packs. Perhaps the Crawford pack... or it could be the Dontells. They are two of the strongest packs in the east. Whoever they are, they have Nymeria, Alaric, and the council on edge.

Now, sightings have seized. That is never a good sign. It can mean two things; either they gathered enough information to attack... or something made them step back. Whichever it is, means trouble. Everyone is on high alert, preparing for any attack.

- Maya refused to tell me. – Luke carried on, turning to look at his sister. Oh, right, he was speaking to me. I'll worry about scouts later. – So, I'm asking you. – he finished speaking.

- Not much, just went for something to eat. – I explain, avoiding any unnecessary information. Maya has her reasons to not share, I'm going to respect them.

- That's it? – he asks in disbelief. I dismiss the question by just packing my stuff.

- See, I told you it was nothing. – Maya scolds him.

- Why didn't you tell me, I would've joined. – he complains.

- Because we wanted to speak. You know, couples thing. – she replies, probably annoying Luke further.

- Whatever. – he decides it's not worth it. – Just don't expect me to cover for you next time. – he warned Maya.

- Oh, come on... don't be grumpy. Tell you what, I'll cook you dinner. – she offers.

- Deal. – Luke accepts without a second thought.

You might be surprised to know that Maya is an excellent cook. She hates cooking and usually avoids it, but when she does it's astoundingly good. I'll never forget when she cooked us a sheep for Nymeria's 15th birthday. Words can't describe how delicious that lamp was. That's probably the first and only time I've eaten something she cooked. One would think that by having such talent, they would do it often, but not Maya.

We head to the cafeteria as usual. Today, they serve pizza, which got to say, is not my favorite. I like it just fine, but I'd take a piece of stake any day. The twins were delighted as always with whatever they served. They just want to sit down and start digging in. We are heading towards our usual spot when...

- Hey Maya, Cal! – Nadia calls.

She has a smile beaming right at us, sitting right next to Nathan and his pack on a table a few feet away. She waved at us, signaling us to join them. Nathan's pack is shocked and irritated. Maya and I looked at each other doubtful.

- So, you ate huh... - Luke mocks in a whisper.

- Shut up. – I say harshly.

- Come here, guys. – Nadia offers again.

We are skeptical about whether to go or not. We did have fun yesterday, but it's completely different from sitting down and eating with a group of domestics. At last, we decided to go and say hi. As we approached the table many domestics shifted uncomfortably in their places. They are sweating cold.