Chapter XIII

- Maya -

It took some time and a lot of convincing to get alpha Alaric to agree on sending me back. Even when he said it was fine, he was still dubious. I still don't understand why Nymeria would rat me out like that, there have been no incidents. At least none that ended in an actual fight. Thank the Goddess Caleb backed me up on it. He can be very persuasive when he wants, and everyone likes him. Perks of being a future beta in command, I guess. Either way, thanks to the hunters arriving we almost missed school for the rest of the week. It's Friday and I'm at the mall with Nadia, she took me at my word of going out with her someday.

- Hey, what do you think about this one? – she asked holding a white blouse from across the coat rack.

- Yeah, it seems nice. – I said tiredly.

Don't get me wrong, I love clothes. For the first two hours or so I was totally into this. But after a while, it starts getting old. On top of it, there is no pleasing this human. Sorry, Nadia. I should stop doing that. She's nice, it's not her fault she was born human. See, I did it again.

- You sure? Isn't it too... taki? – she asked. This is what I mean. There is always a flaw to all the pieces of clothing she's shown me.

- Nah, it looks cool, try it on. – I almost forcefully grabbed the cloth and dragged her to the fitting room.

- Okay, okay. – she laughed while I was pulling her.

I stood outside while she changed. Normally I wouldn't care and get in with her, but these people have different customs and I don't want to impose them. At this point, I'll do anything to get her to buy something and leave. Just how long does this girl take to get change?

- What do you think? – she said, opening the door.

The blouse looks nice, it's completely smooth and the silk is so clean. It fits her perfectly, highlighting her skin tone. I have a good eye for this.

- So? – she added. Oh, right, I'm supposed to comment.

- It looks great, you should buy it. – I told her, praying she will. She looked in the mirror once more, turning to get all the possible angles.

- Yeah, I think it's nice. Besides, I don't have any white blouses anymore, not since my cousin ruined mine. – she added. Finally!

- See, even more reason to buy it. – I said.

- Okay, fine. I'll go get change, be right back. – she said happily and entered the room again.

While she changes, I think it's best to look around. I never found something that suited me. Maybe I shouldn't try. The money Alaric gave us was for emergencies, not to buy fancy things. Besides, who would buy a 400-dollar blouse? It's not worth it. Meddling through the clothes I found a beautiful dark blue jacket. Scraped at the ends which made it look even cooler. Oh, my Goddess, I think I'm in love. I grab the price tag to read 599 dollars. I sighed.

- Hey, I forgot to ask, why didn't you come to school this week? – Nadia asked coming out of the fitting room.

- Ummm, the flu. – I lied, lamely excusing us.

- All three of you? –

- Just me, but the guys didn't want to risk it. – I clarified.

- Huh, that makes sense. Are you feeling better? – she asked kindly.

- Yeah. – I replied immediately.

- You haven't stopped looking at that jacket. Try it on. – she said, finally making my eyes part from the piece of clothing.