Chapter XXXVI

- Caleb -

I woke up before Lena and Riley did, even before Emmet, her husband got home from patrol. Well, I didn't really sleep, to be honest. I couldn't sleep at all, I just kept replaying the conversation in my head over and over. "You're not my son". Those words kept hammering my head. The more I thought about it, the more it hurt. So, I decided to do something productive and ran outside. I've been running for a while now. When I got outside it was still dark and quiet. Now, the sun is just starting to rise, giving a tenue light blue and orange tone to the sky, and the bird songs adorn the forest soothingly. But even that doesn't comfort me. My dad kicked me out, without hesitation. Even after all those years, of us working together and bonding over training and stuff like that... he kicked me out. Even Mary and Jamie looked more concerned for my sake. One mistake. That's all it took to let him down.

Maybe he's right; maybe I don't belong to this pack anymore. No. I refuse to believe that. I love Nathan but this is my pack. I spent countless days worrying and helping. I didn't train until my bones crack and every muscle on my body hurt for nothing. I got to know every member of this pack; my dad can't take that away from me. I love this pack. I tell myself that as I knock on the door. No one answers, so I knock again harder this time. Maybe I shouldn't be here, it's early and they must be asleep. Just as I am about to leave someone answers the door.

- Hey. – Nymeria says, morning headed.

- Nymeria, sorry for waking you up. – I say, getting nervous.

- You didn't, I couldn't sleep. – she says nonchalantly. – For the looks of it, you couldn't either. – she adds.

- I'm sorry. – I apologize.

- For leaving the pack or me? – she says harshly.

- For everything. – I answer quickly. – I never wanted any of this to happen, it just did. –

She nods but doesn't respond. We stand silent for a while, merely looking at each other. I take this time to analyze her. She's wearing a black sleeveless shirt and shorts. Her eyes look tired, and her skin is paler than usual. I try sensing anything, but she covers it up perfectly. I know she's mad, I would be too.

- Why didn't you tell me? – I ask.

- What? –

- That you liked me. You could've said something, I would've listened. – I say softly.

- It wouldn't have changed anything. You never saw me like that. – she responds shortly, embarrassed.

- No, you're right. – I agree. – But I would've understood and been there for you. – I'm interrupted.

- Yes, but not the way I wanted you to. – she says upset. I nodded calmly, not wanting to upset her anymore.

- I want to help. – I say.

- It's too late now, don't you think? – she says still not looking directly at me.

- No. That's why I'm here, I want to fix it. – I say firmly, she looks at me carefully.

- What do you mean? – she asks intrigued.

- Is your dad at home? I want to speak to him, to both of you. – I say, remembering how much she hates to be excluded from conversations.

She nods and opens the door, allowing me to enter. She starts walking and I close the door before following her.

- He is in his office, he's not happy with you. – she adds.

- I figured, but if I don't speak to him, I won't make it better. – I say.

- Make what better? –

- Everything. – I respond. She looks at me dubiously but doesn't ask, figuring that I would answer that question in a couple of seconds.