Chapter XXXVIII

- Allan -

- If you haven't noticed, I'm very busy now, Lena. – Alaric says firmly, not paying much attention to us.

His attention, instead, is directed at the papers on top of his desk. Gregory and Nymeria are present as well. Whatever Lena wants to say, I'm sure it can wait. My son is challenged, he's going to fight in less than a day for his right to stay in the pack. I can't waste my time on nonsense like this. I need to be by his side and support him.

- He's right, Lena. I have better things to do as well. – I say, walking toward the door.

- Don't you fucking dare leave Allan! – she yells angrily, making me turn around. She's fuming and glaring at me with murderous eyes. – Nymeria, Gregory, could you please leave the room? I want to talk to my friends privately. It will only take five minutes. –

It may sound nice and calm, but the look on her face tells otherwise. There's no choice. Gregory looked at her surprised by her outburst. He wasn't sure what to do for a while, but he ultimately agreed and left the room. Nymeria left as well, closing the door behind them. I forgot how scary Lena can be. I hope she has a better temper with her class.

- Okay, you scared my third in-command away. What is it? – Alaric asked, putting the papers down.

- How dare you two force Caleb to marry. He's mated to someone else. – she exclaims upset.

- A domestic. – I spat.

- So, what? – she argues. I'm about to answer when Alaric speaks.

- I didn't want to let him go, but I was going to when Caleb walked in saying he wanted to stay. He made his choice. – he explains casually, his deep voice nonchalant.

- That doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. You know how important mates are. – she points out.

- And he'll be mated to Nymeria. The union ceremony will ensure that. – I say, my arms crossed.

- It's not the same and you know it. Forced bonds aren't as strong or lasting as natural ones. – Lena comments.

- But they are good enough. They'll still love each other. – I say.

- It's true, they'll still feel everything the other feels. – Alaric agrees.

- Besides, they are best friends. They care for each other; it'll be easier because of it. With time and effort, they'll get to love each other. – I add.

- Oh, please, don't pretend to know what it's like. You both married for love. – she criticizes. – Or have you forgotten? – she exclaims upset.

- Elders assured that it's just like a normal bond. – Alaric reasons calmly.

- I don't care what Elders say, they don't care for Caleb, they only have their interests in mind. They'll say whatever you want to hear to be on good terms with you. – Lena says more firmly.

- Lena... – Alaric speaks.

- What would Naya say, Rick? – Lena says, interrupting abruptly.

The comment affected Alaric, he stiffened in his chair and looked away. He hasn't been able to get over Naya's death, the whole pack can feel it. Lena is pushing it right now.

- She's gone, and I share your pain; she was the best alpha and friend we could've had... but I'm sure she would want Nymeria to be happy. – she adds sweetly. My friend takes a deep breath before speaking.

- Nymeria is in love with Caleb. They might not be mates, but she chose him. I'm not a monster, Lena. Caleb doesn't want to leave either, okay? – Alaric says astoundingly calm. Lena shakes her head slowly, with a sadden eyes.