Chapter XLI

- Nathan -

Werewolves' supernatural healing is probably the strongest and most useful ability that we possess. The ability to heal almost any wound as if it were a mere cut makes it nearly impossible to kill our kind. Aside from wolfsbane and silver, used by hunters to slow down the healing process, werewolves can perfectly regenerate and survive even the harshest of wounds... but not this. My body is completely frozen; I can only stand and stare at the headless corpses of three werewolves lying on the ground. Their blood was still fresh and pouring down, mixing with the dirt where their bodies lay. Not even a werewolf can survive that. This is it; this is how it ends...

- Nathan! – Cal screams standing in front of me while shaking my body. – Nathan, we must move! – the words echo in my head.

- The... corpse... - I somehow manage to say, still in shock.

- Don't look at them. – he says, pulling my head away from corpses so that I could only see his face. – Look at me. – he says softer. – I need you to stay with me, please. –

I can hear the worry in his voice, a perturbating feeling that flows through my body, immobilizing my senses. My hand starts shaking, another sign that I'm losing control over my body. I think I'm having a panic attack. Caleb quickly closes the distance between our faces and smashes our lips together and a bolt of electricity jolts through my body, snapping me out of it.

- Okay... okay. – I manage to take a deep breath to regain my composure. – I'm good. –

- We have to go. – he says, taking my hand firmly and pulling me with him.

It's only now that I fully realize my surroundings. Chaos took over the village, everyone was fighting mercilessly. More corpses start appearing on the ground the further we run. I shake my thoughts trying not to fixate too much on them. The cold metallic smell of blood, anger, and sweat in the air drowns my senses in a perturbating feeling of despair. The noises are no better; wolf growls, men and women screaming in pain, and children crying and sobbing. It looks like the end of the world started. I've never felt more helpless, every direction I turn people are fighting. Some are fighting as wolves while most continue in their human shape. My instincts kick in and I feel a sudden rush to help, but I can't distinguish which is who. I have no idea who is from the Lazarus pack. Caleb's grip on my hand tightens, bringing my attention up front. Two werewolves, shining their eyes blue are heading in our direction quickly. Okay, they're not from his pack.

- Get ready. We're gonna have to fight. – he calls firmly, releasing my hand.

Shit. I quickly prepare myself mentally, taking a fighting position. That's when a black wolf jumps from the side snapping its teeth into the werewolf's neck. It was so quick, in a single motion the wolf shook the person from side to side, tearing the neck open. It threw the dead body away and attacked the other person. The rogue tried to defend himself, but the wolf quickly overpowered him, landing the same fate as his companion.

- Over here! –

A woman with dark hair yelled from the side, waving at us in her direction. There are three kids by her side, Jamie being the oldest. That must be Caleb's family, so that would mean she's Mary. My mate didn't hesitate to grab my hand and pull me in her direction. The black wolf is running by our side protectively which means he must be Caleb's father.

- Mary, we need to get out of here. – Caleb quickly comments as we reach them.

- I don't think that's possible, they surrounded the pack. It's important to get to the school so that the kids are safe. Then we can fight back. – she answers quickly.