Chapter XXXII

- Nathan -

- There must be another way. – Mason says scratching the back of his neck.

I can feel everything he's feeling; anger, frustration, worry, he's so overwhelmed by the situation that he's not thinking straight. His eyes look lost, and his scent is all over the place. Everyone is overwhelmed, not only is Violet's life on the line but also Mason's. Werewolves take death very hard; if she dies, Mason might as well. I turn to see Caleb, he's sitting calmly, nonchalant about the whole situation. How can he do that? How can he be so cold during something like this?

- I can't think of another way. – Caleb states coldly, only making everything worse.

- What if he tells his parents? – Mason's voice says with frustration.

- He won't, he cares for her too much to risk her life. – he says firmly.

- I don't feel comfortable... – my beta starts talking but is quickly interrupted.

- The hunters are here because of us; they want to test us to make sure we are not a threat. After the rogue's attack, we are pretty sure to which pack the scouts belong. Alaric is going to report it to your pack and the whole situation will be solved. After that, the Fowlers won't have a reason to stay. They'll leave and Violet will leave with them. – Caleb says rather harshly, forcing Mason to calm down.

- They are studying at River High; they'll at least wait to finish the school year. – Nadia says smartly.

- No, they'll most likely transfer schools during winter break. – my boyfriend says, shaking his head.

- Less than a month. – Mason says, astonished.

- We don't have much time; we have to act now. Carter is our best option. – he insists.

- Okay, but how are we supposed to talk to him with Dakota around? – I ask, trying to find a solution.

- He trains speed track the same days I do. They probably did it on purpose to keep tabs on me. – Caleb comments swiftly. – What time is it? –

- 17:09 – Nadia responds quickly.

- Training just finished, he's probably changing in the locker room. – he adds.

- Okay, let's go. – Mason says shakily, clearly nervous.

- Are you sure? – Nadia asks concerned.

- Yeah, he's right. This is the best chance we have. – he answers. I hear his heartbeat, it's beating fast.

- Okay. – she says.

The four of us stood up and quickly started walking toward the football stadium. The speed track ends at 17:00, which means that we still have a chance of finding Carter before he leaves. Mason's rushing through the library's halls like crazy. I can't blame him; this is his mate we are talking about. I don't know what I would do if Caleb was in danger. Speaking of him, I'm impressed at how calm and cold-blooded he's acting. To be honest, it freaked me out a little. He didn't let his emotions get in the way, he simply thought of a solution. I don't think we would've thought of that on our own, if we manage to solve this, Mason is going to be eternally grateful to him.

As soon as we left the library, Mason ran toward the football field. We had to run to keep up with him, but Nadia naturally fell behind since she is human. Mason is very desperate, I can hear it in his heartbeat. As we entered the stadium, we saw Carter coming out of the locker room, with his hair still wet and wearing some jeans with a loose T-shirt.

- We need to talk. – I say, initiating the conversation. Carter gazes at us, confused.

- Okay? – he simply says, unsure of what to do.