Chapter XIX

- Caleb -

- How did you manage to convince the alpha? How did you manage to convince me? - Maya complained as usual.

- I didn't, Nymeria did. – I answered.

- I still don't understand why I needed to come. – she was being difficult.

- Because we're friends with them, remember? Besides, they think we are dating. It'd be weird if I showed up without you. – I said starting to get upset about her constant bickering.

- This fake relationship is starting to be a drag. – she sighed, giving up.

We are walking through the forest on our way to the football game. It would be much more practical to have stayed at school and waited it out. However, we still needed to get some pack training done. It was part of the deal with the alpha. Nymeria and Alaric are finally going to talk about her possible suitor. So that's a conversation I'm looking forward to hearing, she'll come and visit me tonight to catch me up.

- I don't know why you're complaining. You said you were bored and wanted to go out. – Luke chimed in.

- Yes, but not to school. I can only tolerate domestics so long. – she nagged.

- But I thought you'd be happy to see your human best friend, Nadia. – he mocked his sister. She glared at him; shooting knifes at him with her eyes.

- Shut up. – she simply shot back.

- Well, you are friends, are you not? – I asked calmly. She faced me with the same look she just gave Luke. – I'm just saying you act a little more friendly and tolerable around her. I've seen you smile, like a genuine smile. – I say. She sighed.

- Well, yeah. We're kind of friends. I mean, I don't feel like kicking her face whenever I see her. Which is more than I can say for the rest of the domestics. – she said, making me smile. – What? – she asked.

- Nothing. It's nice to see you making friends. – I said.

- What's that supposed to mean? – she said starting to get defensive.

- Relax, I'm happy you're trying to get along with humans. That's it. – I said casually and turned forward.

We kept walking, and Maya and Luke bickered to the school. Sometimes I'm amazed at how much they can complain. I have siblings as well, but our relationship is completely different from theirs. But it's only normal, they are twins; have the same age, and love bothering each other.

I'm not going to lie, being here this late is weird. School's basically empty, everyone is at the football stadium. It's almost 8:00 pm and the sun starting to set, so the field lights are on, illuminating the field perfectly. There's so much noise coming from the crowds. The game hasn't even started but everyone was already cheering for their teams. The scent is so strong and intoxicating that my head started to hurt a little from the mixture of emotions. Tension, adrenaline, nerves; I could smell it all this far away. This is exactly why we normally stay away from humans. They don't know how to control their scent and we have to deal with all kinds of smells and hormones. Coming to school here has been a challenge for reasons like this one. However, right now is different. It doesn't just reek, the stench is so much that I'm starting to feel lightheaded. Maya and Luke must feel the same.

- Goddess... could it smell any worst? – Maya said, covering her nose.

- Just wait until the game starts and they start sweating. That'll freshen your nose. – Luke joked.

- Uughh. – Maya made a sound of disgust which made me laugh.

- Come on, we promised Nathan we'd come. – I said.