Pandora's Vault

What was thought to be an archive was an immense fortress, with living quarters and pantries as large as bedrooms. Aaron could tell that there was hidden places through the halls, although that's not what he was there for.

"This is Pandora's Vault, what was once a dungeon used by a tyrant many years ago," the lead guard said. "However, I'm sure you already knew that. What you may not know is that this area is a confluence of magical power."

They came to an area where stairs led down to an area where scholars spent time paying attention to animals... animals that were clearly not of this world.

"Familiars," Aaron said, and the guard looked at him.

"You know of them?"

"They're the reason I came here."

They descended the stairs, and Genrikh Gorbachev comes out of a room.

"Genrikh, I thought I'd meet you here," Aaron says, crossing his arms.

"Time flows as you dictate it," Genrikh says. "Or... have we been left to fate?"

"Don't use your psychology on me, it has no meaning here. Unless you're all mindless sages hiding behind books."

"It's been a long time," Genrikh chuckles. "Come, I will show you the ways of the magic familiar. Commander, take our guests to a more suitable room. And make sure of it that no harm may befall them."

Genrikh opened the door he came out of, and Aaron entered it. What was inside was a glass plate lying on the floor. Genrikh gestured for him to stand on it.

"This is the Astral Mirror, it allows you to reflect upon the effects of your magic... and what kind of familiar you will be given."

Aaron moves onto the Mirror, and it instantly powers up. Genrikh's ears flutter, an indication that it usually took longer. And then, four other mirrors moved out from beneath it, and all Aaron could see was himself... until the faces in the mirror were other people. These people were not human, but not aliens. They were elves.