Got in the Way

Alex, who had just woken up for the day, sought after some breakfast. After finding Thomathy and Mark Nathaniel running around playing war, and Phil gone out of the house, Alex left for a meal at the local inn.

He went downstairs, strapped on his sword belt, slung his axe over his back, grabbed his specialty crossbow, and was ready to go get his meal. However, his meal would be delayed longer, when a patrolling guard bumped into him.

"Watch where you're going, citizen scum!" The guard barked at him.

"Do you mock me because you have low self-esteem? I'm sure there are some that can help with that."

The guard drew his sword. "Take that back! In the name of the king, I command you to take those word back!"

"You may have your steel armour, but I can and will take you down. I'm not in the mood to fight."

"You dare threaten a guard of the king? You are under arrest for blasphemy!" The guard blew on his horn, but it was quickly knocked out of his hand by Alex's axe. In another movement, Alex shot the crossbow and three fireworks shot out. The explosion resulted in red, blue, and white; sending the guard flying in colourful sparks.

Unfortunately, a squad of guards had seen what had happened.

"Halt!" The leader shouted. "In the name of the king!"

But Alex had already fired off three more rounds of fireworks, blinding the playing field from the guards perspectives. Before rushing forward, Alex smashed three potions on the floor (potions of speed, strength, and jumping), and was ready for the confrontation.

He jumped over the fireworks, and in the eye of the sun, knocked down the guard leader with his axe. Throwing it down, drew his sword and struck down the guard behind the leader. He jumped up and fired a round of fireworks on the ground below before landing.

In a wild slash, the only remaining guard was able to deal blood on Alex. But it was too late, his destiny was sealed. He was crumpled on the ground before anyone else could say another word.

Suddenly, from a window behind Alex, a person clapped. He looked around to see the clothier clapping, a man who generally had no love for the guards. And then more people Alex hadn't seen before was clapping, and cheering. So this was the glory that heroes felt... it felt great.