⁰¹, A LIFE LIKE MINE

𝐂𝐑𝐎𝐒𝐒𝐇𝐀𝐈𝐑𝐒.
chapter one; A Life Like Mine
" She is my daughter, which means it is my call. "

  THE APOCALYPSE WASN'T so bad

  THE APOCALYPSE WASN'T so bad. At least, not in Vex Williams's opinion.

  She didn't have to go to work anymore, thank God, and no more parent-teacher conferences where she was judged for how she raised her child, and Vex no longer had to face the doom of grocery shopping trips.

  Vex gained a new beginning for herself and her daughter.

  Albeit, a dysfunctional one, it was hers.

  "Vex, get your ass down here, it's dinner time!"

  The woman closed her book, swinging her legs over the edge of her bed. She couldn't fight off her smile as she heard her daughter's laughter spilling out of the kitchen.

  Vex knew she was lucky. That they'd found a sense of normalcy in this world, in the small cabin her brother had always called home.

  There were enough animals in the forest for a steady food supply, especially considering they were the only hunters, it was secluded enough that the looming threat of walkers was rare, and, although it had annoyed Vex to no end years ago, her brother had always been a doomsday prepper.

  Which meant a backstock of non-perishables and weapons in the basement he'd added, a home generator, a system to cleanse any water they collected, and steel shutters on all windows and doors.

  The woman rounded the corner, spotting her brother, who seemed to be rationing out their dinner for the night.

  "Mom, Uncle Dean let me help this time, so you have to really tell me if you really like it, okay?"

  Vex let out a laugh as Zeppelin Williams bounced on the balls of her feet, hands clasped in front of her as she beamed from beside the dinner table.

  "Okay, baby," Vex smiled, ruffling Zeppelin's hair as she took a seat. "Hey, you been doing your homework?"

  "Yep," Zeppelin chirped, slipping into her seat, "Uncle Dean helped me with math."

  "She's a wiz kid, V," Dean spoke up, placing the three plates on the table as he took his own seat, "Smarter than you and I combined."

  "No way," Zeppelin argued, unable to fight off a smile, "Mom's, like, a genius!"

  "Yeah, I'm, like, a genius," Vex grinned at Dean.

  "Alright, hotshot," Dean waved, "Eat your dinner, you gotta pull your weight tomorrow."

  Vex rolled her eyes but picked up her fork nonetheless.

  She couldn't enjoy her food though, as Zeppelin bounced in her seat, peering over at her mother.

  "D'ya have to pee, kid?"