²⁰, SOLITARY CONFINEMENT

𝐂𝐑𝐎𝐒𝐒𝐇𝐀𝐈𝐑𝐒.
chapter twenty; Solitary Confinement
" Would you just— just let me take care o' you? "

RICK WAS SHOCKED, to say the least when he and Daryl approached Vex for help clearing out the yard of corpses and bringing vehicles inside the fences, and she denied

  Not once in the nearly year that they'd been on the road had Vex ever disagreed with Rick, and even if she did, she still respected the calls he made.

  "What do you mean 'no'?"

  "I mean, while I was out there with you, helping some inmates clear a cell block," Vex said, standing, "My daughter was running out to the infirmary with your kid. Killing walkers, looting the place."

  Rick swallowed thickly.

  "Our deal has always been if you want me and my brother to go out; hunting, scouting, killing, clearing," She listed, "That my kid is taken care of at camp. She wasn't. So Dean or I are staying back from now on."

"Vex, I'm sorry, but we--"

  "There is no but, Rick," Vex stressed, "I'm not leaving my kid when I know she won't be watched properly-- not today, not tomorrow."

  "Bring her out with us today," Rick said calmly, "When it's somethin' dangerous, we'll have another conversation then."

  "I'm not leaving my kid to wander off and get killed," Vex argued, "I've done everything else, I won't do that."

  Vex looked between Rick and Daryl, before departing.

Vex mulled it over for a long while. Most of the group had gone out to help already, but her anger for the better of her.

Until she thought about it.

Vex departed to her daughter's cell, whistling once, making Zeppelin jolt out of bed.

  "Come on," Vex said, resting her hands on her hips as Carl watched the interaction, "You wanna be involved, you're gettin' involved."

  Zeppelin pulled her baseball hat onto her head, scurrying to follow her mother to the yard.

  "Wanna drive Uncle Dean's truck?" Vex questioned as they approached the group at the gate.

  "Really?" Zeppelin questioned with wide eyes.

  "If you can reach the pedals," Vex teased.

  Rick and Daryl watched the interaction closely, as Vex approached her brother, clapping her hands on his shoulders.

  She seemed in high spirits considering she'd chewed Rick out shortly before.

  "Keys please," Vex grinned, "Zep's gonna move the truck."