⁰⁸, BEHIND BARN DOORS

𝐂𝐑𝐎𝐒𝐒𝐇𝐀𝐈𝐑𝐒.
chapter eight; Behind Barn Doors
I can't stay with people who keep me at arm's length. "

  VEX WANTED TO go home

  VEX WANTED TO go home. Having her brother ask to stay was one thing. She knew him, knew why he wanted to, even if she disagreed, and knew Dean would never force her to stay.

  But having strangers urging her to join their group made her uneasy.

  So she wanted to leave.

  But the only thing keeping her was the mission to find Sophia.

  So that was what she decided she'd do.

  "You found the doll here; where do you think she goes from there?"

  Daryl looked up as Vex Williams dropped a map onto his lap. He squinted his eyes in the sun, scoffing at the woman.

  "Listen, I can follow the river, that's what I'd assume," Vex sighed, crossing her arms, "But you've met the girl. Just askin' your opinion."

  Daryl stood from his seat, pressing the map to the woman's chest.

  She scoffed, turning on her heel before she said something she'd inevitably regret.

  "Did you know?"

  "Know what?" Vex asked, never stopping her stride.

  "That there's a barn full o' walkers feet away from where your kid sleeps."

  Vex halted at that, turning to face Daryl Dixon. He stared at her, his expression more argumentative than sincere, as she approached him quickly.

  "Knew you were a dick, didn't take you as a liar."

  "I ain't no damn liar," He argued, "Why don't you go see for yourself?"

  "You think I'd take your word for somethin' like that?" She laughed humorlessly, "I've known Hershel for a decade-- he wouldn't keep that from me."

  "Yeah, well, maybe you don't know 'im as well as you thought."

  Vex narrowed her eyes, taking off without another word.

  And as much as she wanted to ignore Daryl Dixon's words, they sunk right beneath her skin and stayed there like a stubborn splinter.

  She hadn't been to the barn. Vex didn't ask questions about things that remained unspoken; she minded her business, did as she was asked, and left the rest of it alone.

  But the idea gnawed at her until her path changed from the stables to the barn.

  And sure enough, Daryl Dixon had let it slip to Dean Williams that he'd told Vex.