⁵⁹, UNCLE JACK

𝐂𝐑𝐎𝐒𝐒𝐇𝐀𝐈𝐑𝐒.
chapter fifty-nine; Uncle Jack
" Hey, cowboy! "

  AFTER A BRIEF malfunction with the RV's battery and Glenn's quick fixing of the situation, the group pulled up to the gates of Alexandria

  And they could hear noise.

  Kids laughing and yelling, and people chatting; it sounded like a community. It sounded like living.

  Aaron and Eric lead as they approached the gates. A clattering set the group on edge, but Daryl loosed a bolt once spotting it was only a possum. He lifted the animal just as an unfamiliar man greeted them.

  "We brought dinner."

  The group entered, the large metal gate shutting behind them.

  "Before we take this any further," The unfamiliar man stated, "I need you all to turn over your weapons. Stay, you hand 'em over."

  Vex scoffed. A small part of her understood it. The larger part held her rifle even tighter.

  "We don't know if we wanna stay," Rick said.

  "It's fine, Nicholas."

  "If we were gonna use them, we would've started already."

  "Let them talk to Deanna first."

  "Who's Deanna?"

  "She knows everything you'd wanna know about this place," Aaron said, "Rick, why don't you start?"

  "Sasha."

  The woman turned, taking out the walker approaching the gates as the second layer began to close.

  "It's a good thing we're here."

  The group started further into the community, but only after a few short steps Vex Williams halted.

  "No way," She whispered, her lips tugging up.

  Dean and Daryl exchanged confused looks, but Zeppelin was wearing a grin that rivaled her mother's.

  Her anxiety was gone. Any inkling of reservation or fear had disappeared entirely— Vex Williams had let her guard down wholly.

  Vex put her fingers between her lips, letting out a loud whistle that earned everyone's attention— but one man in particular.

  "Hey, cowboy!"

  A man lifted his head, eyebrows furrowing beneath a fading brown cowboy hat.

  His expression melted, a breath leaving his lips as he hopped down from his post— to the dismay of the group before him, and the people beside him.

  The group watched closely as he ran toward them, with complete disregard for the situation— he was a middle-aged man, had to be in his forties, wearing crisp jeans and a faded flannel. His hat was covering the top portion of his face, cowboy boots thudding on the ground, and his large belt buckle clinked as he ran.

  And then all at once, he swept Vex Williams up into a hug, the woman's feet leaving the ground.

  And she laughed.

  A real, genuine laugh.

  It was, perhaps, the happiest anyone had seen her in a good long while.

  "Vex fuckin' Williams," The man grinned, setting her back on the ground, "I'll be damned."

  "What about me?"

  The man's face softened, letting out a breathy laugh as he scooped Zeppelin up into the same sort of hug, her glare quickly turning into a bright smile.

  "My God," He breathed out, shaking his head as Zeppelin remained at his side, "Thank you, God."

  "Really leaned into this whole thing, huh?"

  "Ain't no military now, Williams," He laughed as the woman gestured to his outfit, "Went back to my roots. Works better, you should try it. Got an extra hat at my place."

  "No, thank you," She grinned, shaking her head, "God, I can't believe you're still alive."

  "Come on, let me tell you 'bout it," He smiled, throwing an arm around her shoulders, "Oh, but first— wanna introduce me to your new friends?"

  Vex smiled, peering over her shoulder.

  "Family," She corrected lightly, "They're my family."

  The man only grinned, pulling her tighter into his side.

  "Jack, you can't—"

  "This one's in," The man, Jack, quickly waved Nicholas off, "Her and her kid— no questions."

  "Jack, they have to talk to Deanna, this is not how it's supposed to work—!"

  "Kinda feels like that's how it's working right now," Jack informed with a lopsided grin, "C'mon, kid, I got my girls back— let me have this."

  Nicholas sighed, shaking his head, but Jack grinned and ushered the group— specifically Vex and Zeppelin— into Alexandria.

🗡

  Jack Mitchell had complied with Operation Sundown, save for setting loose those on his team that wanted it. He'd been a cowboy before he was a soldier, and after seeing the outcome of what the government deemed a reasonable response, had all but given up.

  He'd given up on DC or any savior, but when he found Alexandria when they were still small and starting, he settled down. It was a life, not just survival.

  "So how you been, Vex?" Jack questioned as they walked the streets of Alexandria, "You look a little rough."

  "You're an ass," She informed matter-of-factly, making Jack laugh, "It's been a lot."

  Jack furrowed his brows, glancing between her and Zeppelin.

  And then she told him everything.

  Well she skimmed over most of it. Vex hadn't exactly wanted to trudge up the worst part whilst Zeppelin was listening, so she gave him a very brief recap of their lives up until this point.

  Jack only hugged her.

  "I'm gonna get you two your own house," Jack whispered, his arm still resting around Vex's shoulders, "You need it."

  "We don't."

  "Eh, you lived in a shoebox before all this, you been drifting since," Jack sighed, "Lemme give you a house."

  "I want a house!"

  "Hell yeah you do," Jack grinned wildly at Zeppelin's agreeance.

  Vex only sighed, knowing she was outnumbered, especially once Jack let her go to urge Zeppelin into a piggyback ride.

  "You'll have to talk to Deanna at some point, though," Jack admitted, "She'll give you a job; it's nothin' serious, and if I pull some strings I'll get you workin' with me. You still shooting, I assume."

  He gestured to her rifle.

  "Don't really have a choice."

  "Okay, poor choice of words on my part," Jack admitted, setting Zeppelin down, "Come on, let's get you settled and back with your family."