⁰⁴, RESCUE MISSION

𝐂𝐑𝐎𝐒𝐒𝐇𝐀𝐈𝐑𝐒.
chapter four; Rescue Mission
And you still have your charming personality. "

VEX KEPT TO her word, packed and ready to leave as morning barely broke

  She greeted Rick quietly, joining the group around the map.

  "Alright," Rick said, "Everyone's gettin' new search grids today. If she made it as far as the farmhouse Daryl found, she might've gone further East than we've been so far."

  "I'd like to help. I know the area pretty well and stuff."

  Vex raised a brow at Jimmy's approach, breaking his confidence just slightly.

  "Hershel's okay with this?"

  Jimmy's eyes darted to Vex's before he said, "Yeah. Yeah, he said I should ask you."

"Alright then," Rick nodded, "Thanks."

  Vex was still staring a hole through Jimmy when Shane spoke up.

  "Nothin' about what Daryl found screams Sophia to me," He said. "Anyone coulda been holed up in that farmhouse."

  "Anybody includes her, right?" Andrea said quickly.

  "Well, whoever slept in that cupboard was no bigger than yay-high," Daryl said, holding a hand to his waist."

  "It's a good lead."

  "It's the only lead," Vex retorted, "And unless you want to throw the search off-- we follow it. Nothin' West anyway."

  Shane craned his neck, looking at Vex, but remaining silent.

  "Maybe we'll pick up her trail again," Rick nodded.

  "No maybe about it, I'm gonna borrow a horse," Daryl said, "Head up to this ridge right here, take a bird's-eye view of the whole grid. If she's up there I'll spot her."

  "Good idea," T-Dog said, "Maybe you'll see your chupacabra up there, too."

Vex's lips tugged up into an amused smile.

  "Chupacabra?" Rick questioned.

  "You never heard this?" Dale asked, "First night in camp, Daryl tells us that the whole thing reminds him of a time when he went squirrel hunting and he saw a chupacabra."

  Vex snorted.

  "What're you laughin' at?"

  "Nothing," Vex breathed out, "Plenty of men tougher than you believe in the same damn myths and legends."

  "So, you believe in a blood-sucking dog?" Rick asked.

  "You believe dead people walkin' around?" Daryl retorted, looking to Vex, "Ain't no myth."