²², LEFT BEHIND

𝐂𝐑𝐎𝐒𝐒𝐇𝐀𝐈𝐑𝐒.
chapter twenty-two; Left Behind
"Can't you yell at me 'bout this later? "

  IN A HAZE of smoke, Vex and Maggie dropped the walkers surrounding the brothers, before focusing on the people

  The scene descended into chaos quickly, townspeople running off while others stayed to fight, Rick had joined the women in picking them off as quickly as possible.

  Vex's eyes searched the chaos for Daryl, for even a sign of him.

  "Daryl!"

  She let out a breath as he and Merle came rushing toward their group, the woman standing to cover them as they took up behind them.

  "Let's go," Rick said, "Go!"

  And then the group ran.

  "You asshole," Vex let out as she ran beside Daryl, "You said you were right behind me."

  "I was," He argued, watching the woman take out another man on their trail, "Can't you yell at me 'bout this later?"

  Vex grumbled as they finally approached the wall.

  "They're all at the arena," Merle said, "This way."

  "You're not goin' anywhere with us," Rick said.

  "You really wanna do this now?"

  Merle quickly started kicking in the wall as the rest of the group covered him, following out after only to face a handful of walkers.

  "Little help would be nice!"

  Vex joined the man quickly, shooting at the walkers closest to him.

  Merle turned, pausing just for a moment.

  He had seen her face before.

  "We ain't got time for this!"

  The group walked in silence back to the car, Vex's eyes scarcely leaving Daryl.

"Glenn!"

  "Rick? Rick. Oh, thank God."

  Glenn and the woman rushed to meet them in the brush of the forest.

  "Now we got a problem here," Rick said, "I need you to back up."

  "What the hell is he doing here?!"

  Both Glenn and the woman pulled their weapons, ready to lunge at the eldest Dixon brother.

  Vex was getting the sense that Merle hadn't been very popular, even before his allegiance to Woodbury.

  "We barely got out of there together, and now we're pulling weapons on each other?!" Vex yelled.