²⁶, THE START OF WAR

𝐂𝐑𝐎𝐒𝐒𝐇𝐀𝐈𝐑𝐒.
chapter twenty-six; The Start Of War
Don't tell me you're goin' soft on me? "

chapter twenty-six; The Start Of War" Don't tell me you're goin' soft on me? "

"THIS CAN'T BE a good idea."

  Daryl craned his neck, watching Vex approach him.

  "I ain't arguing with you."

  Vex sighed, watching the man load his motorcycle.

  She was uneasy as soon as she heard the idea. 

  Meeting the Governor, even in neutral territory, to have a conversation after what he'd done made Vex sick to her stomach.

  And the thought of her going, when she knew the chances of seeing Paul were impossibly high, chased away any idea of calm she'd had.

  But Rick wanted her there. In case anything went south.

  "You ridin' with me?"

  Vex eyed the man, crossing her arms with a mischievous grin.

  "You gonna let me drive?"

  "You know how to drive a bike?"

  "I'm a goddamn Navy SEAL and you're surprised I can drive a motorcycle?"

  "You ever heard the nickname 'Squid'?"

  Daryl couldn't fight back a smile at the glare that washed over Vex's face.

  'Squid' was a common name tagged onto any member of the Navy, oftentimes by other military personnel (most often marines), but Vex knew the origin of such a name, and it wasn't an offhand choice based on marine life.

  It was because Navy men used to be notorious for spending all money earned on deployment on a motorcycle, without any real training, resulting in many crashes.

  And, in nature, squids were very fast animals but, like an inexperienced biker, had difficulty changing direction quickly.

  Now, granted, this nickname for sailors formed back in the 1960s when these situations were more prevalent, but it was clear Daryl know exactly where it had come from.

  "You're a dick," Vex informed shortly.

  "Whatever you say, Squid," He retorted, "Come on, we ain't got all day."

  She grumbled but climbed on the back of the motorcycle.

  They made it to their location without incident.

  Rick climbed out of the car Hershel had driven, as Vex and Daryl got off the bike.

  "You stay with Hershel," Rick pointed to Vex, "Daryl, on me."

  Vex nodded to the men, circling the car and leaning against the driver's side.

  "You know. . . he might be here today."