³², BEHIND GLASS WALLS

𝐂𝐑𝐎𝐒𝐒𝐇𝐀𝐈𝐑𝐒.
chapter thirty-two; Behind Glass Walls
That aside, V, it made me realize there is no world in which you get to die before me. "

VEX HADN'T WANTED to stay in a different cellblock than her own, and with limited options, she had taken up residence in one of the watchtowers

It wasn't much. Vex missed her bed and her blankets, her books, and her clothes-- but the watchtower gave something her cell never could.

Privacy.

As if on cue, the hatch opened, disturbing Vex's slow rise from slumber. The woman glared, her eyes softening just barely when Daryl's head popped up.

"Might have to get me one o' these," He noted, looking around.

"Find your own," She grumbled, pulling her blanket around herself, "Did you take Dean's job as a human alarm clock? 'Cause it's less annoying if it's not my brother, but I still hate it."

"Nah," Daryl said, "Shit went sideways. Come on."

That was all Vex needed to hear, the woman not even caring enough to change into something other than running shorts and her extra-large Led Zeppelin t-shirt, pulling on her boots and climbing down alongside Daryl.

She followed him, asking sparse questions as they approached Cellblock A, but it was rather clear once they arrived.

"Oh, my God," Vex breathed out, skidding to a halt in the courtyard.

Two burned bodies, still smoking, sat side by side, Tyreese standing over them, with Rick and Carol behind him.

Daryl had informed her preemptively that the bodies were of Karen and David, but he'd left out the burned part.

"I came to see Karen," Tyreese stated, clearly out of it, "And I saw the blood on the floor. . . Then I smelled them. Somebody dragged them out here and set 'em on fire. They killed them and set them on fire!"

Vex had known loosely that Tyreese and Karen were in a relationship, so it was no shock the man was taking the situation how he was.

But Vex and Daryl both jolted as Tyreese took a quick step toward Rick.

"You're a cop," He said, "You find out who did this and you bring 'em to me, you understand? You bring 'em to me."

"We'll find out who--" Daryl tried, attempting to grab the man's arm, but Tyreese wrenched his arm out of the man's grip, his eyes never leaving Rick's.

"I need to say it again?" Tyreese asked Rick.

"No," Rick responded, "No. I know what you're feeling. I've been there. You saw me there. It's dangerous."