³⁴, LEAVING HOME

𝐂𝐑𝐎𝐒𝐒𝐇𝐀𝐈𝐑𝐒.
chapter thirty-four; Leaving Home
No matter how far we go, or how long we're apart. I will always come back, Zep. "

  AFTER A NIGHT of medicine and a day of rest, Vex was almost back to normal

At least, close enough that she refused to stay still any longer.

"Just help me," Vex grumbled, "I want to see my kid."

Daryl knew there was no arguing, watching the woman balance her weight on the wall beside her, holding a hand out impatiently.

  He sighed in defeat, wrapping her arm around his shoulders, supporting her weight as they began walking.

Vex had little energy, but she was determined to see Zeppelin after too long apart.

"Carol around?" Vex asked tiredly, "Bet she's pissed I've been slacking on laundry."

Daryl didn't speak.

"I'm kidding," Vex said after a moment, "I thought she'd be in here, though. With that Lizzie kid."

Daryl remained silent.

"Daryl?" Vex questioned, stopping her feet, "What happened?"

He had been told just that morning. And he'd been angry-- hell, he was still angry. But he hadn't told Vex.

Not while she was still tired, still recovering. He wanted her to at least feel better before passing the news along.

But he couldn't lie to her.

So Daryl spoke slowly, explaining that Rick had left Carol with a car, weapons, and supplies after discovering she had been the one to kill Karen and David.

And Daryl pulled her into a hug when a sob wracked her body.

She had no anger at that moment.

Only deep, guttural sadness, for losing someone she cared for so deeply.

Daryl had gone with Rick to find Tyreese and deliver the news, only after Vex had found Zeppelin.

The girl was sobbing, clutching her mother tightly for at least ten minutes before finally calming down.

"I was scared," Zeppelin admitted.

"Wanna know a secret?" Vex whispered, continuing her gentle action of braiding Zeppelin's hair, "I was, too."

Zeppelin fiddled with the stuffed rabbit in her hands.

"But Hershel took care of me," Vex continued, "Daryl brought those meds back. Our family took care of me. Just like we take care of them."

Vex secured the braid with a small elastic, pressing a kiss to the top of her daughter's head.

"I missed you," Zeppelin said, turning to face her mother, "It was. . . scary. Bein' without you."