¹⁷, A BARN IN FLAMES

𝐂𝐑𝐎𝐒𝐒𝐇𝐀𝐈𝐑𝐒.
chapter seventeen; A Barn In Flames
But for right now? We can be friends. "

VEX WAS WORRIED when she, Daryl, and Glenn arrived to find Rick and Shane had not returned

VEX WAS WORRIED when she, Daryl, and Glenn arrived to find Rick and Shane had not returned. They told the group of their findings; Randall's fate, and lack of a bite.

Lori asked Daryl to find Rick and Shane, to which he instantly agreed.

"Yeah, I'm coming with you."

Daryl looked to Vex as she joined his side.

"If you find them, and Shane already. . ." Vex said in a hushed tone as they exited the home, "He's off the rails."

"I can handle that."

"Yeah, last time you denied my help, you wound up with your own arrow in your side, maybe you should--"

Daryl held up a hand, pointing to the horizon.

And Vex was horrified.

"Patricia, kill the lights," Hershel instructed after he and a few others joined Daryl and Vex.

"I'll get the guns," Andrea said, moving quickly.

  There were easily a hundred walkers emerging from the woods, heading straight toward the house. Vex had never seen anything like it, the walkers grouping together like animals.

  And she wasn't sure how they'd be able to handle it.

"Maybe they'll just pass like the herd on the highway," Glenn said, "Should we just go inside?"

"Not unless there's a tunnel downstairs I don't know about," Daryl responded, "A herd that size would rip the house down."

Vex inhaled, trying to count the walkers but losing track after 20.

"I can pick some off, but--"

"Carl's gone."

Vex turned to find a panicked Lori approaching.

"He-- he was upstairs, I can't find him anymore," Lori said out of breath.

"Maybe he's hiding--"

"He's supposed to be upstairs," Lori said, "I'm not leavin' without my boy."

"We're not," Carol said, "We're not, we're gonna-- we're gonna look again, we're gonna find him."

Vex looked to Dean in panic as Carol and Lori returned inside.

"Safe, upstairs with Beth," Dean answered the unasked question, "Where you should be."

"Dean--!"

"Sniper, literally," He urged, "You're better up there than you would be in the field."