⁵⁵, DANCE TROUPE

𝐂𝐑𝐎𝐒𝐒𝐇𝐀𝐈𝐑𝐒.
chapter fifty-five; Dance Troupe
" He wants us to audition for membership. "

  WHEN VEX WOKE up she was still under Daryl Dixon's arm

WHEN VEX WOKE up she was still under Daryl Dixon's arm. Her neck was sore from the position she'd slept in, but the peace she felt waking up made up for it.

"Hey."

"Hi."

She smiled tiredly, greedily taking another moment of his warmth before retreating, stretching, standing.

"Everyone good?" Vex asked, glancing around the barn.

"Mhm. Maggie and Sasha went out," He informed quietly, "Zep and Carl'll have been scrapping firewood. Dean wants to go out hunting."

Vex sighed and nodded as she tried to shove her grogginess away. It had been a long time since she'd slept soundly, and it wasn't letting her escape easy.

"Well we can--"

"Hey."

The door creaked open, Maggie's face appearing in it.

"This is Aaron."

Every weapon was raised and cocked instantly at the sight of an unfamiliar man entering between Maggie and Sasha. He looked clean, in neat clothing, a bit on edge but otherwise fine and healthy.

Daryl approached first, scanning the area outside before shutting the door and patting down Aaron harshly.

"We met him outside. He's by himself. We took his weapons and we took his gear."

The group stared.

"Hi," Aaron said.

Judith began crying, so Rick handed her off to Carl, before turning to Aaron.

"It's nice to meet you," He tried, stepping forward but pausing when the sounds of guns cocking sounded.

"You said he had a weapon?" Rick asked.

Maggie approached, passing Rick the small pistol Aaron had. He inspected it briefly, before tucking it into the back of his waistband.

"Is there something you need?"

"He has a camp nearby," Sasha informed, "He wants us to audition for membership."

"I. . . wish there was another word. Audition makes it sound like we're some kind of a dance troupe. That's only on Friday nights," Aaron attempted to lighten the mood, but no one took the bait, "And, um, it's not a camp. It's a community. I think you all would make valuable additions. But, i--it's not my call. My job is to convince you all to follow me back home. . . I know. If I were you, I wouldn't go either. Not until I knew exactly what I was getting into. Sasha, can you hand Rick my pack?"