¹⁴, ONE MAN LOST, ONE MAN SAVED

𝐂𝐑𝐎𝐒𝐒𝐇𝐀𝐈𝐑𝐒.
chapter fourteen; ONE MAN LOST, ONE MAN SAVED
I'm not saying we have to kill him, but I am saying he can't stay here. "

  IT WAS SUNSET, which meant it was time to convene on Randall's fate

  IT WAS SUNSET, which meant it was time to convene on Randall's fate. Vex and Dean stood in the living room along with the rest of the group, while the children departed upstairs to stay clear of the conversation.

  "So how do we do this?" Glenn questioned, "Just take a vote?"

  "Does it have to be unanimous?" Andrea questioned.

  "That's the case for the death penalty," Dean said.

  "How about majority rules?" Lori suggested.

  "Well, let's-- let's just see where everybody stands, then we can talk through the options," Rick said.

  Vex looked around the group. It was clear no one was thrilled about having this conversation, or about what they may do.

  "Well, where I sit," Shane spoke up, "There's only one way to move forward."

  "Killing him," Dale all but spat, "Right? I mean why even bother to take a vote, it's clear which way the wind's blowing."

  "Well, if people believe we should spare him, I wanna know," Rick said.

  "Well, I can tell you it's a small group," Dale informed, "Maybe just. . . me and Glenn."

  Glenn looked at Dale nervously.

  "Look, I-- I think you're pretty much right about everything, all the time," Glenn said softly, "but this--"

  "They've got you scared," Dale said.

  "He's not one of us," Glenn defended. "And we've-- we've lost too many people already."

  Dale took in a breath, before looking to Maggie and Hershel, "How 'bout you? Do you agree with this?"

  "Couldn't we continue keeping him prisoner?" Maggie asked after a moment.

  "Just another mouth to feed," Daryl said.

  "It may be a lean winter."

  "We could ration better."

  "Well, he could be an asset," Dale tried, "Give him a chance to prove himself."

  "Put him to work?"

  "We're not letting him walk around."

  "We could put an escort on him."

  "Who wants to volunteer for that duty?"

  "I will."

  "I don't think any of us should be walking around with this guy," Rick interrupted.

  "He's right," Lori said, "I- I wouldn't feel safe. . . unless he was tied up."