⁰², CRISIS CALL

𝐂𝐑𝐎𝐒𝐒𝐇𝐀𝐈𝐑𝐒.
chapter two; Crisis Call
" But it never was before, was it? "

  ZEPPELIN WILLIAMS WAS bubbling over with excitement from the very moment she woke up

  ZEPPELIN WILLIAMS WAS bubbling over with excitement from the very moment she woke up. It was nearly impossible to focus on her morning chores, or scarf down her breakfast; all she wanted was to start the adventure of hunting with her mother.

  "Boots, baby, you can't wear your sneakers out there," Vex laughed through a mouthful of pancakes, "And get your hat, I don't want you gettin' a sunburn."

  Zeppelin nodded quickly, bounding up the stairs two steps at a time.

  "You packed already?" Dean questioned, leaning on the table, "For you and her?"

  "Believe it or not, I am," Vex pointed, "Wanna double-check?"

  Dean did not find humor as he stood to look for her backpack.

  "You dumbass, I was--"

  The siblings halted their movements as static crackled from the walkie-talkie on the kitchen counter.

  It hadn't yet made a sound in the short year since they'd given the other one to Hershel Greene.

  Emergencies only, Dean had told them, other than this the families had a standing agreement of weekly visits that had begun even before the world had fallen.

  "Dean--"

  Dean moved quickly, grabbing the walkie just as Zeppelin came bounding down the stairs.

  "Hershel, are you there?" Dean called, "Hershel, tell me y'all are okay."

  Zeppelin furrowed her brows, stopping short at her mother's side.

  "Momma. . ?"

  "Just wait a second, baby," Vex said quietly, wrapping an arm around her daughter to pull her closer.

  "Hershel," Dean repeated.

  Seconds felt like hours, silence engulfed the house.

  "D--Dean?" Maggie Greene's voice crackled over the radio, "Are you there?"

  "Mag, what's goin' on?" Dean questioned, walking over to the table, "You guys okay?"

  "Yeah, I think so," Maggie's voice came in clear finally, "Listen; Otis was out huntin', he accidentally shot a little boy."

  Vex held her daughter tighter on instinct.

  "Two men came back with him; one's the father, the mother just got here," Maggie continued, "Their whole group is gonna come-- we need supplies for surgery--"

  "We're leaving in five, what do y'all need?"

  Dean moved quickly to the basement to retrieve materials as Maggie listed them, leaving Vex with a worried Zeppelin Williams.