⁵¹, UNDER A WILLOW

𝐂𝐑𝐎𝐒𝐒𝐇𝐀𝐈𝐑𝐒.
chapter fifty-one; Under A Willow
We made it. . . It's gone. "

  NOAH SAID THERE was a sanctuary his family had been a part of in Virginia

  NOAH SAID THERE was a sanctuary his family had been a part of in Virginia. And without much else to go on, they started driving.

  Everything was quiet and heavy those next few days. Zeppelin didn't say much of anything, but Vex could see her pain had grown after an incident mere hours into the journey.

  Originally it had been Zeppelin, Vex, and Daryl in the back row of the van. Zeppelin was positioned between the two, and while her tears had gone silent, they hadn't stopped yet. Daryl had said a word, and Vex couldn't blame him, but when Zeppelin adjusted to lean into Daryl, he recoiled.

  It was a reflex. Something entirely unintentional and subconscious; but it hurt Zeppelin all the same.

  And hours later after a few stops, Dean had taken Daryl's seat. 

  Words were scarcely exchanged. The occasional radio conversation with the other vehicle of their group, a check-in, a passing around of whatever food they had found in the bottom of their bags. 

  Zeppelin had slept the entire way through South Carolina. She woke up when they crossed state lines into North Carolina, but simply readjusted so her head rested on Dean instead of Vex and fell back asleep.

  Vex knew there was no easy way to help everyone through it, if there was a way at all. Losing the hope that was Washington D.C. moments before losing Beth Greene was an impact no one could have prepared for.

  They were simply left to pick up the remains.

  And even though Vex felt the loss of Beth Greene, deeply and gutturally, she knew it wasn't her time to mourn. It was her time to care for those who couldn't do anything else.

  Dean had been on edge, and Vex was still waiting for him to explode. His grip on his pistol never loosened, and he refused to let Zeppelin out of his sight for anything other than a bathroom break. 

  Zeppelin cried and slept. She hadn't eaten much since seeing Beth's body and had only spoken of it one night, asking her mom if this meant that Beth got to see Hershel again. And since the day of Daryl's silent and unintentional rejection, Zeppelin Williams had not looked at Daryl Dixon.

  And Daryl hadn't let anyone close.

  Vex tried in soft ways. Handing him a bottle of water, offering to hunt with him, asking if he'd slept. But she could see he was slipping, returning to the man she had met so long ago, the one who repelled the mere idea of someone caring for him.

  She wondered if she'd be the one to save him against his wishes again.

  For now, though, Vex was sitting in a row with her brother and her daughter and focused on this. Nothing more, and nothing less.

  Carol had been driving and rolled slowly to a stop at the crackle of the walkie. The other part of the group; Glenn, Rick, Tyreese, Michonne, and Noah were heading in to scout the settlement.

  It took short of ten minutes for Rick's voice to come through again.

  "Carol, you copy?"

  "We're here."

  They sat with bated breath for a long pause. Days of traveling and scavenging across three states to get to their only lead, their only direction.

  "We made it. . . It's gone."

  And it was for just short of nothing.

  Vex leaned back in her seat as Rick explained they'd do a quick sweep for any supplies before returning. 

  It had been a long time since she'd felt this hopeless.

  They were drifting. Again. With no real defense, no safety, and no home base. Vex wondered how long it would be before they lost someone else. How long they'd last with the food and water they had. She wondered what it meant for Zeppelin. What it meant for Carl. 

  She had no way of really knowing that it would only be hours before Tyreese would die from blood loss following the amputation of his arm due to a walker bite. She had no way of knowing they'd reunite with the group to bury the man underneath a willow tree.

  And Vex wouldn't have any words as they followed the motions they had completed too many times. Passing a shovel, each putting their own amount of dirt into the grave, filling it slowly. 

And she sure as hell wouldn't know what to do when her own tears arrived suddenly, running down her face as she held her daughter in a tight hug.