²⁷, THE PRICE OF SAFETY

𝐂𝐑𝐎𝐒𝐒𝐇𝐀𝐈𝐑𝐒.
chapter twenty-seven; The Price Of Safety
"  I think if we hand her over we're no better than him. "

VEX WAS GOING over a map of the prison for what felt like the millionth time

VEX WAS GOING over a map of the prison for what felt like the millionth time. She continued her additions while shoveling her portion of breakfast into her mouth, and listening to Zeppelin argue with Merle Dixon.

"Trust me," Dean said between bites, "You won't win against this kid."

"Oh yeah?" Merle laughed, "Takin' any bets, little brother?'

Daryl smiled, shaking his head.

"Bet a Twinkie on Zep," Vex mumbled, pushing the map to Daryl as she wiped her mouth.

"Alright," Daryl said, looking at the map, "I'll bet one on Merle."

"That really hurts my feelings, but you better be ready to pay up," Zeppelin informed.

See, the only people that had the energy to talk at their table that morning had been Zeppelin Williams and Merle Dixon. Zeppelin had started by asking Merle a handful of questions, in complete denial that he may know more than Daryl about hunting.

And their disagreement spun into an argument, which somehow spun into Zeppelin challenging Merle to an arm wrestling contest.

Zeppelin rested an elbow on the table, pushing her empty plate out of the way.

Merle laughed, doing the same, grabbing her hand with his.

"Ready?" Zeppelin said, "Mom, count us down!"

"Three," Vex said dramatically, leaning forward, "Two. . . one!"

Zeppelin Williams moved so quickly, Merle had no chance to notice before her right hand met his left forearm, right above his elbow.

The man let out a shout of pain, followed by his hand hitting the table, and a triumphant Zeppelin throwing her arms in the air in celebration.

"What the fuck was that?!"

"Zep took Krav Maga classes," Vex informed, taking another bite of her food, "She's a beast for remembering all the pressure points. Never lost an arm wrestle."

"You're lucky she didn't use one of the knockout ones," Dean said, shivering, "I thought I had vertigo for half an hour after that one."

"That's cheating!"

"There were no rules laid out," Zeppelin bragged, "So, technically, I didn't."

"The rules are implied--!"

"Can't believe a kid beat you," Daryl mumbled, the corner of his lip tugging up.

"Pay up, Dixon," Vex grinned.