¹³, A BASIC UNDERSTANDING

𝐂𝐑𝐎𝐒𝐒𝐇𝐀𝐈𝐑𝐒.
chapter thirteen; A Basic Understanding
That if anything happens to her, anything at all, while she is with you, I'll skin you alive."

  ZEPPELIN FIGURED IF she and Carl had met earlier, they would've been best friends long before now

  ZEPPELIN FIGURED IF she and Carl had met earlier, they would've been best friends long before now. He listened to everything she said and matched it with equal excitement. He told the best jokes and liked every single game she showed him.

  "Hey, do you know anything about that guy my dad brought back?"

  Zeppelin collapsed in the grass beside Carl, catching her breath from their intense game of tag.

  "Um," She hummed, "My mom says he's not safe. Told me to stay away from the barn until he's gone."

  Carl twisted his lips, looking at the building.

  "I wish we could see him," Carl admitted, "I'm tired of being left out just 'cause we're kids."

  "My mom says she only keeps stuff from me to keep me safe," Zeppelin informed, "She says 'Rules are for a reason'."

  Carl frowned, looking to the barn again.

  "We could. . . just go peek."

  "What?"

  "Just to see."

  "I don't know. . ." Zeppelin mumbled.

  "Well, I'm going," Carl said, standing, "Are you coming?"

  Zeppelin hesitated, but the second Carl started toward the barn, she scrambled to her feet and followed him quickly.

  They snuck around the barn, climbing into the hayloft quietly.

  Zeppelin's eyes widened at the sight of him-- he was covered in blood, a split lip, a swollen eye, and his hands cuffed behind his back.

  She followed Carl's actions, taking a seat in the loft and watching. Unfortunately, the wood creaked under Zeppelin's boots, and the kids earned the attention of Randall.

  "Hey," He whispered, attempting a smile, "That's a sweet hat."

  Zeppelin looked to Rick's hat on Carl's head, though the boy was focused solely on Randall.

  "I'm Randall," He said, "What's your name?"

  Carl stayed silent.

  "What about you?" Randall questioned.

  Zeppelin felt a brief internal struggle, between the manners her mother had taught her, and the very strict rules of 'Stranger Danger'.

  "The sheriff guy, that your dad?" Randall questioned Carl, "I like him. Yeah, he's a good guy. I can tell. Your mom out here too? What about your friend, are her parents here?"