¹⁹, TWO DOORS OPEN

𝐂𝐑𝐎𝐒𝐒𝐇𝐀𝐈𝐑𝐒.
chapter nineteen; Two Doors Open
Don't make her mourn your father while he's still alive. "

THEY MADE IT back to their cell block without another incident

  Vex helped lift Hershel from the cart they'd wheeled him on to a bed, Carol quickly joining her side as they worked.

  "What do you have leftover, Dean?"

  "Painkillers, antibiotics," Dean said quickly, "Some gauze--"

  "Get it all," Carol urged, "Vex, don't let go of this, I have to lift his leg."

  Vex nodded, her hands staining red as Hershel's blood soaked through the towel she held.

  "Here, I got it," Dean said, quickly as he returned with a bag, quickly placing his hands where Vex's had been, "Take a second, V."

  She blinked rapidly, standing slowly.

  The world felt far away as Vex started down the stairs, wandering to the communal area she knew Daryl was in.

  "We have company comin'," Daryl whispered.

  Vex swallowed thickly, unholstering her gun as Daryl lifted his crossbow. 

  Sure enough, the prisoners from earlier came wandering in.

 "S'far enough," Daryl said.

  "Cellblock C," One man said, "Cell 4-- that's mine, gringo. Let me in."

  "Today's your lucky day, fellas," Daryl said, "You've been pardoned by the state of Georgia. You're free to go."

  "What you got goin' on in there?"

  "It ain't none of your concern."

  "Don't be tellin' me what's my concern," The first man said, grabbing his gun from his waistband.

  Vex mirrored his movements, stepping forward so she was side-by-side with Daryl.

  "Chill, man," Another inmate said, "Dude's leg is messed up. 'Sides, we're free now. Why are we still in here?"

  "Man's got a point," Daryl said.

  "Yeah, and I gotta check on my old lady."

  "A group of civilians breaking into a prison you got no business bein' in-- got me thinkin' there ain't no place for us to go."

  "Why don't you go find out?" Daryl said.

  "Maybe we'll just be goin' no. . ."

  "Hey, we ain't leavin'."

  "You ain't comin' in, either," T-Dog said as he rounded the corner, lifting his own pistol to the man who mirrored him. 

  "Hey, this is my house, my rules," The inmate said, "I go where I damn well please."