³³, SCARED TO DIE

𝐂𝐑𝐎𝐒𝐒𝐇𝐀𝐈𝐑𝐒.
chapter thirty-three; Scared To Die
Hey, sweetheart. "

"CAN I ASK you a question?"

  Vex peered up from the thermos of elderberry tea Hershel had made, looking to Glenn as she poured another cup.

  "I don't like the taste either," Vex joked weakly.

  Glenn breathed out a smile, shaking his head.

  "What's. . . your question?"

  "How are you. . . not scared?"

  Vex let out a long breath, taking a large sip of the tea as she did.

  "Of being sick?" She asked, "Of dying?"

  Glenn hesitated but nodded slightly.

  "You spend enough time thinking you're gonna die," She said slowly, wiping sweat from her forehead, "You stop being scared of it."

  Vex stood, preparing to meet Hershel and continue helping on his rounds, checking in on other people in the cell block.

  "It's not like. . . I want to die," She said after a moment, helping Glenn to his feet, "Just that. . . at this point. . . there's no use. God's kept me here this long. . . he'll take me out when I'm ready. And I know. . . there's still so much for me to do here. I ain't scared, 'cause it ain't my time yet."

  Vex patted Glenn's shoulder, the two heading out without another word.

  The sickness was getting worse. People had started succumbing to their symptoms, dying in silence, choking on their own blood without being able to ask for help.

  Vex focused on the people she could help.

  She did as Hershel told, passing out tea, resting wet rags on foreheads, and making sure the children in the cell block didn't see any of the dead being taken out on gurneys.

  The woman did everything she could until Hershel decided she was out of energy for the day and needed to rest.

  She argued for a moment, but ran out of breath and gave in.

  "Make sure you're drinkin' water," Hershel said, closing the cell after Vex took a seat on her cot. "Last thing we need is you getting dehydrated on top of all this."

  Vex nodded, rubbing the heels of her hands into her eyes.

  "Get me. . . if you need help," Vex said, "I'm. . . not so bad."

  "I can handle it," Hershel nodded, "You're tough, Vex. That doesn't mean you should push yourself too far."

  "That's all I know how to do," Vex smiled weakly, laying down on the cot slowly.