²⁹, FAMILY LINE

𝐂𝐑𝐎𝐒𝐒𝐇𝐀𝐈𝐑𝐒.
chapter twenty-nine; Family Line
We can't let the Governor hurt them, too. "

  VEX AND DARYL rode in silence, only slowing to a halt once seeing some of the military trucks the citizens of Woodbury had used to enter the prison

  Vex noted the bodies littering the road, swiftly taking out any walkers that were gorging themselves on the dead.

  "He killed his own men," Vex mumbled, looking around.

  Daryl grunted, approaching the truck.

  Vex turned, looking at the slaughter around her. She couldn't fathom it. 

  But then something far more important caught her eye.

  "Are you fu--"

  Vex cut herself off at the sound from the truck behind Daryl, both herself and Rick raising their guns as Daryl opened the door with his knife in his hand.

  Vex eyed their pickup truck before returning her attention to the woman that climbed out of her vehicle.

  "What happened?"

  The woman blinked, her hands raised.

  "We didn't want to fight," She said, "He. . . killed everyone."

  Vex lowered her weapon, eyeing the woman.

  "Where's Andrea?"

  "She hopped the wall," The woman answered, "Thought she went to find you guys."

  Vex and Rick exchanged looks.

  "We're going," Rick said, "Come on."

  "Yeah, one second," Vex sighed, "We have a stowaway."

  Rick furrowed his brows as Vex walked around the pickup truck. A hushed argument took place, before Vex re-emerged with Zeppelin Williams.

  "What the hell?" Daryl said.

  "I wanted to help," Zeppelin defended, "There might be good people in that town, but you'd never know if you just--!"

  "Listen, we don't have time to argue about this," Vex said, "We need to get to Woodbury and find Andrea. Governor does this to his own men, I don't want to think about what he does to her."

  Everyone fell into a sobering silence.

  "I'm not leaving her alone, and I'm not leaving you all without a way to get back," Vex said, "So, unfortunately, her plan worked."

  "You're bringing a kid?" The woman from Woodbury spoke up.

  "Not a lot of choices in front of me," Vex said tiredly, "Can't stay here by herself, and without knowing what's waiting for us, I can't let these guys go in with one less gun."