⁴⁴, PICKIN' VIOLETS

𝐂𝐑𝐎𝐒𝐒𝐇𝐀𝐈𝐑𝐒.
chapter forty-four; Pickin' Violets
You know, you used to be really good at pretending you didn't care about people, but you're gettin' worse at it. "

  VEX WAS TRYING to take it slow

  VEX WAS TRYING to take it slow. After the conversations she had with Dean and Daryl's genuine concern, Vex was trying.

  She was staying in the middle of the group, she was carrying Judith instead of a gun, walking beside Zeppelin, and taking out their rations.

  Despite the thoughts and self-loathing that came from it, Vex was trying.

  "So did you and Uncle Dean do anything cool?"

  Her daughter made it easier.

  "Nothing much," Vex answered honestly, "We camped outside mostly-- even showed Uncle Dean a couple of constellations."

  "Will you show me?"

  "Of course I will."

  Zeppelin grinned, continuing with her mother's pace.

  "Rick, Carl, and I stayed at a house," Zeppelin said, "Michonne found us. . . The house looked like our old one. . . we stayed for a long time. Some guys showed up so we had to leave. But I got this really cool jacket."

  "It's a pretty badass jacket," Vex smiled small.

  Zeppelin beamed with pride, readjusting the leather as if it was now worth more.

  "How'd you end up with Daryl?" Vex questioned, nudging Zeppelin.

  And then the girl went silent. She shrunk into herself, any and all words drying up in her throat before they could ever be formed.

  She didn't want to tell her mom. About what happened, about Daryl. Aside from wanting to forget her own experience, Zeppelin had a knot of worry that her mother would hold it against Daryl. For being with the men.

  Even though Zeppelin had. Even though she had been angry and hurt and confused; she knew Daryl was different. And she was worried her mom wouldn't see that.

  "You okay, honey?"

  Zeppelin nodded quickly, attempting to bury her discomfort.

  "Just matters that he found us," Zeppelin said quietly.

  "Okay. You let me know if you need to talk, baby girl."

  "I will. When I'm ready."

  Vex nodded, reaching out to ruffle her daughter's hair. The girl smiled weakly, but it grew into a real one when Judith let out a small laugh.

  Vex grinned, bouncing the child slightly as she walked, letting out dramatic coos as she did.

  Zeppelin wondered if this was how her mother had been with her. If her face lit up like that if she made herself look silly only to make her laugh.