⁰⁶, HOPE FOR CHOCOLATE CAKE

𝐂𝐑𝐎𝐒𝐒𝐇𝐀𝐈𝐑𝐒.
chapter six; Hope For Chocolate Cake
Rules are for a reason, Zep. "

  DINNER WAS SILENT

  DINNER WAS SILENT. Vex wasn't entirely opposed to this, though she could tell both Dean and Zeppelin were suffering.

  "What'd you help make, baby?" Vex questioned, entirely immune to the anxiety of others.

  "Oh, the mashed potatoes," Zeppelin smiled small.

  "That's why they're so good," Vex grinned, nudging her daughter lightly.

  No one else spoke for the remainder of dinner.

  "Hey."

  Vex paused her cleaning, turning her head to see Carol with a tray full of food.

  "Hi," Vex turned fully, "Taking that to Dixon?"

  "He needs food," Carol shrugged, "Listen. . . I just wanted to thank you. For joining this search."

  Vex smiled awkwardly, nodding.

  "Your daughter visited me, too," Carol said, "Had a sense you didn't know about it."

  "I didn't," Vex sighed, looking over her shoulder to spot Zeppelin assisting Beth with cleaning dishes, "I hope she wasn't a bother."

  "Oh, not at all," Carol said quietly, "She. . . she made me the sweetest card."

  Vex turned to face Carol, her own heart softening at the woman.

  "I'm glad she could brighten your day, even if only a little," Vex said quietly.

  Carol only nodded, before retreating to give the food to Daryl, who was now lying in one of the bedrooms.

  Vex, however, slunk over to her daughter, leaning on the counter beside the girls.

  "Heard from a little birdie that you went to that camp out there," Vex drawled, earning her daughter's full attention.

  "Just to give a card," Zeppelin admitted, "And Mr. Dale gave me this book--"

  Vex sighed, ruffling her daughter's hair.

  "Did Uncle Dean know?"

  Zeppelin nodded.

  "Then he saved your butt this time," Vex said, "Rules are for a reason, Zep."

  She nodded, continuing her motion of cleaning the dishes.

  "Where did Miss Carol go?"

  Vex began putting dry dishes away.

  "To bring food to Daryl," Vex said.

  "Oh, I should've thought of that," Zeppelin grumbled.

  Vex only laughed.

  "For real," Zeppelin whined, "Mom, you save people without even trying, I just want to help, too."