⁶¹, CHIPPING PAINT

𝐂𝐑𝐎𝐒𝐒𝐇𝐀𝐈𝐑𝐒.
chapter sixty-one; Chipping Paint
" The rest of the world can wait."

  ZEPPELIN HAD MADE a fort in the living room the entire group would be sleeping in

  ZEPPELIN HAD MADE a fort in the living room the entire group would be sleeping in. It was rather easy, considering the amount of pillows and blankets available to her, and she was currently lounging inside of it with Dean, Maggie, and Tara, playing a rather intense game of Go Fish.

  Vex had made herself at home as well; she was one of the few that had taken advantage of the fresh clothes, and was lounging in a soft set of Navy sweatpants and a shirt so faded she could hardly read 'Black Sabbath' on the front.

  "You comfy up there, Dixon?"

  "Yeah."

  Vex craned her neck, tearing her eyes away from the book nestled on her legs.

  Daryl was sitting on the coffee table they'd moved to the side, positioned right beside a window and Judith's bassinet. He was on edge still, his crossbow beside him, a hunting knife in his hand, peering out of the window and scanning the group.

  Vex on the other hand was sitting on a couch cushion with a blanket over her legs, with her back leaning against the coffee table between Daryl's legs.

  "Mhm," She hummed, earning his attention, "You don't want a cushion or a pillow or a blanket or anything?"

  Daryl shook his head.

  "I bet Zep would let you in the fort," Carl noted, turning away from his comic book with a grin.

  Daryl scoffed, making Carl and Vex smile for a moment.

  A knock sounded on the front door, setting everyone on edge instantly. Rick approached the door, opening it slowly to reveal Deanna.

  "Rick, I--" Deanna halted herself, noting Rick's clean-shaven face, "Wow. . . I didn't know what was under there. Listen I-- I don't mean to interrupt. I just wanted to stop by and see how you were all settling. . . Oh my."

  Deanna scanned the living room, clearly surprised to see the floor covered with people and makeshift beds.

  "Stayin' together. Smart."

  "No one said we couldn't."

  "You said you're a family. That's what you said," Deanna spoke, "Absolutely amazing to me how people with completely different backgrounds and nothing in common can become that. Don;t you think?"

  "Everybody said you gave them jobs."

  "Mm-hmm. Yeah," Deanna confirmed, "Part of this place. Looks like the communists won after all."

  "You didn't give me one."

  "I have, I just haven't told you yet. Same with Michonne. I'm closing in on something for Sasha and Vex. And I'm just trying to figure Mr. Dixon out-- but I will. . . You look good."

  Deanna smiled again before departing, leaving the group alone once again.

  "Mr. Dixon."

  "Quit."

  Vex tried to stifle a snort as Daryl bumped her lightly with his knee, but it failed.

  "Vex," He warned quietly.

  "Okay, dropping it," She said quickly, scooting out, "I'm surrendering, I'm going to sleep."

  Daryl gave her a look as if to say he didn't believe her, but Vex readjusted her cushion and blanket before slinking down to lie.

  She looked up at him, offering a soft smile, before shutting her eyes as the rest of the group settled in for sleep.

🗡

The next day the group was told they had the freedom to explore and see the community. Vex had every intention to do so, as they all emerged from the house that morning, but she faltered once she saw Daryl sitting in the corner of the front porch.

  Rick saw it too, giving Vex a questioning glance.

  She waved him off, "I'll catch up; Zep'll wanna walk with Carl and Judith anyway."

  Rick nodded, patting her shoulder in passing.

  Vex took slow dramatic steps toward Daryl until the toes of her boots nearly touched his. He glanced up but said nothing quite yet.

  "Got the place to ourselves," She tried to joke, lightly kicking his foot, "Could throw a rager in there."

  He scoffed.

  Vex frowned, lowering herself onto the ground beside him, pulling her knees to her chest to mirror his way of sitting.

  "Or we could sit on the porch," She said, "Count chips in the paint."

  "Go. You want to."

  "Mm, I wanna be with you more," Vex admitted, tilting her head as she looked at him.

  He scoffed, but she smiled.

  "Get used to it," She mumbled, "You don't have to get used to this. To Alexandria. But you're gonna have to get used to me caring about you."

  Daryl's expression softened for a rare moment. Out of surprise,  of uncertainty. Maybe a bit of fear.

  But Vex only reached over, pulling his head toward her so she could press a kiss to his forehead.

  "You really need to shower, eventually," She mumbled, earning a short and gruff laugh from him, "Just think about it, yeah?"

  "No promises."

  "Okay," Vex said softly, leaning back.

  "You really not goin' out there?"

  "Not unless you are."

  "I'm not."

  "Then it can wait," She shrugged. "The rest of the world can wait."

  And Daryl didn't know what to say to that, so he just lifted and arm and wrapped it around her, pulling Vex closer into his side.

  Maybe one day he would be used to it. But for now, it would never fail to render him speechless that Vex Williams would choose him day after day.