²⁴, PAST LIVES

𝐂𝐑𝐎𝐒𝐒𝐇𝐀𝐈𝐑𝐒.
chapter twenty-four; Past Lives
I can take a hint, I'm just ignorin' it. "

  IT WAS JUST more arguing

IT WAS JUST more arguing. Not that Vex expected anything else. It was arguing about what to do, whether they should stay or leave, about Rick taking his statement seriously, stepping up, and being the leader he said he would be.

Granted, the arguing was worse with Merle returning alongside his brother.

"Field's filled with walkers. Didn't see any snipers out there, but we'll keep Maggie on watch."

"V should take watch," Dean spoke up.

"No, we need Vex here right now," Rick said.

"I'll get up in the guard tower," Daryl spoke up. "Take out half them walkers, give these guys a chance to fix the fence."

"Or use some of the cars to put the bus in place."

"We can't access the field without burning through our bullets," Hershel said.

"So we're trapped in here," Glenn spoke up, "There's barely any food or ammo."

"Been here before. We'll be alright."

"That's when it was just us," Glenn said to Daryl. "Before there was a snake in the nest."

"Man, we gonna go through this again?" Daryl asked, "Look, Merle's staying here. He's with us now. Get used to it."

"Take a walk."

Daryl looked to Vex in shock, the woman's tone cold-- it wasn't a suggestion.

"Cool down," She repeated, "We don't need any of that hothead shit right now."

Daryl shook his head but obeyed.

"Seriously, Rick, I don't think Merle living here is really gonna fly."

"I can't kick him out."

"I wouldn't ask you to live with Shane after he tried to kill you."

"Merle has military experience," Hershel said.

"Yeah, so does Vex," Glenn argued.

"And she has been a valuable member of this group," Hershel continued, "Merle may be erratic but don't underestimate his loyalty to his brother."

"What if we solve both problems at once?" Glenn asked, "Deliver Merle to the Governor. Bargaining chip. Give him his traitor, maybe declare a truce."

🗡

Vex was sitting beside her bed, attempting to sift through her emotions as Daryl approached the landing. He wasn't sure what to say.