⁶³, KITCHEN LIGHT

𝐂𝐑𝐎𝐒𝐒𝐇𝐀𝐈𝐑𝐒.
chapter sixty-three; Kitchen Light
" I just don't know who I am anymore. "

  ZEPPELIN AND MAEVE sat on the front porch as the group returned to the house slowly

ZEPPELIN AND MAEVE sat on the front porch as the group returned to the house slowly. Each person greeted Zeppelin as they climbed over the girls and their splayed-out card game, the occasional ruffle of her hair, assistance in her next play, questioning if she'd eaten dinner yet.

This part, at least, was normal.

"You guys really are a family, huh?"

Zeppelin peered up at Maeve as she set down another set of cards, furrowing her brows.

"What do you mean?"

"Just that everyone cares about everyone," Maeve said, glancing into the front window. "I didn't know that kind of thing existed. Even before it all."

"I didn't either."

Maeve turned back to Zeppelin, who looked just as shocked at her own words as Maeve did.

Zeppelin cleared her throat nervously, discarding a card before leaning back against the porch railing and propping one of her legs up.

"Your turn."

Maeve drew a card, sorting out her hand for a second, before discarding.

"I guess we have a lot in common, then."

Zeppelin gave a half smile as she played her turn.

Maybe they did. In one way or another. Maeve had come from outside, after all, she hadn't lived in Alexandria very long at all. Four mere months, after the loss of both of her parents; she'd been through hell and made it out.

Zeppelin wondered how far the similarities went.

"Hey, baby."

The girl looked up at the familiar voice, spotting her mother approaching with Daryl and Dean in tow.

"Hi," Zeppelin greeted softly, tilting her head up as her mother leaned down to kiss her forehead, "Everything okay?"

"Oh, yeah. Rick and Michonne are gonna be constables."

"What's a constable?"

"Like a cop, right?" Maeve said.

"Pretty much," Vex confirmed with a small smile. "Nice to meet you, I'm Vex."

"Maeve," The girl grinned, "Thanks for letting me come over."

"Anytime," Vex nodded, glancing back as Daryl placed a hand on her waist in passing, entering the home, "Probably doing dinner soon, you staying?"

"Maybe another day. Olivia's probably gonna get worried if I don't get back soon," Maeve admitted, "But thank you for the offer, it really does mean a lot."