²¹, BACK FROM THE DEAD

𝐂𝐑𝐎𝐒𝐒𝐇𝐀𝐈𝐑𝐒.
chapter twenty-one; Back From The Dead
You swear you're staying with me? "

WHEN VEX CAME to, Daryl was worried she'd be in the same state he'd found her in

  But she groaned, lifting an arm and dropping it over her eyes.

  The light burned, her limbs were heavy, muscles screaming.

  And then she was tackled, knocking the wind right out of her.

  "Mom!"

  Vex let out a breath, opening her eyes as she wrapped her arms around her daughter, pulling her closer into the bed.

  "Hi, baby girl," Vex said roughly, cradling the back of her daughter's head.

  She finally adjusted to the room, looking beyond the bed to find Dean in a seat just beside her.

  "Food, if you're hungry," He said thickly.

She could see it had weighed on him. Not that Vex thought Dean wouldn't mourn her, just that she didn't expect to see it so clearly.

He'd clearly been tugging at his hair, an anxious habit he'd held onto as long as she remembered. His eyes were bloodshot; from crying or lack of sleep, she couldn't quite tell.

Dean Williams had been angry and ruthless and cold for the two days that Vex Williams was missing, not that she knew this, as the second she returned, he melted right back into the kind brother she knew.

  Vex's expression softened, reaching out an arm.

  A breath as he engulfed both Vex and Zeppelin in a tight embrace.

  "We thought you were dead," He whispered.

  Vex held them tightly.

  "Never lost," Zeppelin whispered, "Always found."

  Vex looked up as a tear slipped down her cheek, only to be startled by another presence.

  Daryl Dixon stood silently, leaning against the metal bars of the room.

  He had a soft expression on his face, and Vex could've sworn it was worry.

  She mouthed him a 'thank you' as Zeppelin grabbed the tray of food and insisted her mother eat.

  Within the day, Vex had been visited by every single member of the group and accepted hugs from each and every one of them.

  Her final visitor was Rick Grimes himself.

  After Carl's tale of what happened with his mother and new baby sister, Vex wondered if she'd see him at all.

  She stood, the man pulling her into a tight embrace.