⁵², OUR SHERIFF HAT

𝐂𝐑𝐎𝐒𝐒𝐇𝐀𝐈𝐑𝐒.
chapter fifty-two; Our Sheriff Hat
The kids are gonna be alright. "

  WASHINGTON D

  WASHINGTON D.C. WAS determined to be their next destination. One of the vehicles had given out so the entire group piled into a van, piled together like a mess.

  It wasn't helping that water and food were entirely depleted at this point and just as the sun was at its peak, the gas in their van ran out.

  "I'm gonna head out. See what I can find."

  "Hey, don't be too long."

  Carol gave a not-so-subtle glance to Vex at Daryl's announcement of his departure.

  They had both been worried. Both been distant against their own wishes. And had been trading off trying to crack back through to the man. It was officially Vex's turn, but with Zeppelin looking miserable and a sunburn forming across her face, Vex knew she couldn't muster the hope that today would be any different.

  Vex shrugged, bumping Carol's arm with her own, and the woman seemed to understand.

  "I'll go with you," Carol said.

  "I got it."

  "You gonna stop me?"

  She peeled off with Daryl, clearly against his hopes, but neither said anything else as they disappeared into the thick of the forest.

  "Need a hat, Zep?"

  The girl peered up as her uncle spoke up. He'd been quiet too, but he'd been there for her.

  "I'm okay," Zeppelin said weakly, "I've had sunburns before."

  Dean scoffed, starting to take off his baseball cap.

  "Really, it's okay, Uncle Dean," Zeppelin urged, "You need it, too."

  He hesitated, staring down at the girl who seemed so hellbent on something so small. So desperate for him to keep something for himself.

  And then a familiar sheriff's hat was plopped on her head, momentarily hiding her eyes.

  "We can share it."

  Zeppelin's lips curved into a small smile, readjusting the hat as she looked at Carl.

  "Okay."

  Vex fell back with Dean as Zeppelin and Carl walked side-by-side. It was a brief reprieve of happiness only they could find in a moment as bleak as this. Zeppelin had clearly made some kind of joke about the hat and Carl flicked the brim down, blinding her again, but it only made the both of them laugh. Rick smiled at the sound. Zeppelin seemed to notice him then, offering to carry Judith for a little so he had a break.