⁵⁷, CANNED ORANGES

𝐂𝐑𝐎𝐒𝐒𝐇𝐀𝐈𝐑𝐒.
chapter fifty-seven; Canned Oranges
"I hope it's real. For her. For us. "

  THEY HAD FOUND vehicles, and inside of one a stash of food large enough to hold them over for at least a few days

"This, this is ours now," Rick told Aaron.

"There's more than enough."

"It's ours whether or not we go to your camp."

"W--what do you mean?" Carl spoke up, "Why wouldn't we go?"

"If he were lying or if he wanted to hurt us. . ." Michonne started, "But he isn't. And he doesn't. We need this. So we're going. All of us. Somebody say something if they feel differently."

It was silent.

"I don't know man," Daryl spoke up. And for a brief moment, Vex felt her heart sink. Until he continued, "This barn smells like horse shit."

"Yeah. We're goin'," Rick said, before turning back to Aaron, "So, where are we going? Where is your camp?"

"Well, every time I've done this, I've been behind the wheel, driving recruits back," Aaron said, "I believe you're good people, I'd bet my life on it, I'm just not ready to bet my friends' lives just yet."

"You're not driving," Michonne said, "So if you wanna get home, you'll have to tell us how."

Rick pulled out a map, waiting for Aaron to speak.

"Go North of Route 16."

"And then?"

"I'll tell you when we get there."

"We'll take 23 North. You'll give us directions from there."

"That's-- I don't know how else to say it-- that's a bad idea. We've cleared 16. It'll be faster."

"We'll take 23. We leave at sundown."

"We're doing this at night?"

"Look, I know its dangerous. But it's better than riding up to the gates during the day. If it isn't safe, we need to get gone before they know we're there."

"No one is going to hurt you. You're trying to protect your group, but you're putting them in danger."

"Tell me where the camp is, we'll leave right now."

Aaron said nothing.

"It's gonna be a long night. Eat. Get some rest if you can."

Rick departed after his decision, and Michonne followed.

The group listened to his instructions, divvying up food and preparing shifts for sleep. Vex grinned as Zeppelin took a swig of soda, passing it to Carl, and letting out a loud burb that surprised them both.

"C'mon, eat somethin'."

Vex turned at the voice, accepting an extended can of food from Daryl. She smiled as she peeled it open, more than thrilled to eat something filling for the first time in weeks.

"Hey, Mom?"

"What's up, buttercup?" Vex asked, before tilting the can into her mouth.

Zeppelin pursed her lips, rocking back and forth on her feet as she glanced nervously at Daryl.

"You okay, Zep?"

His voice came out quiet and rough, but it seemed to ease her nerves. Her twisted expression turned softer, nodding up at Daryl quickly.

"I'm alright," She said, "I just. . . I dunno, what if he's hungry?"

Vex glanced at Aaron, who seemed to be watching the group as they all ate.

"Zep--"

"Just maybe we could offer him something," She said quickly, "Remember how much you didn't like everyone at first? And now look. We're all a family now. Maybe we can have a bigger family."

Vex Williams was not a wimp. She didn't cave very easily for most people; she hardly caved at all for others.

But when her daughter fought so strongly for any kernel of hope, even after losing so much, Vex couldn't dare to put her down.

"Alright," Vex said softly, "You can ask 'im, but I'm coming with you, alright?"

Zeppelin grinned, agreeing eagerly before rushing back to the table of supplies to search for the right offering.

"I hope it's real," Vex admitted softly, glancing back at Daryl, "For her. For us."

Daryl didn't say anything, but he lifted a hand and rested it around her shoulder, squeezing gently.

His way of saying he hoped, too.

"Oranges!"

Zeppelin was still grinning as she approached with a can of fruit in her hand, showcasing it to Vex and Daryl.

"Great pick," Vex said, resting her hand on Zeppelin's head, "Come on."

Zeppelin approached first, her strength wavering briefly, but it resurged as her mother's hands came to rest on her shoulders.

Aaron's gaze locked onto them as they came closer, he was still handcuffed, leaning against one of the barn's support beams, but he didn't seem angry. A little on edge, perhaps, but not angry.

"Are you hungry? You've been here a few hours and haven't eaten."

He briefly looked shocked.

"Maybe thirsty? I can grab water," Zeppelin said quickly.

"I'm alright," Aaron said as Zeppelin started back to the pile of supplies, "Thank you. It's very kind of you to offer."

Zeppelin twisted her lips, awkwardly staring at the can in her hands.

"Are there kids in your community?"

Vex frowned, entirely unaware the conversation would go must further past the offer of food.

"You don't have to answer that," Vex said softly, squeezing Zeppelin's shoulders, "C'mon, baby, you should get some sleep before we gotta go."

"But I'm not tired," Zeppelin said, craning her neck to look at her mom, "I wanna talk to him more."

"We'll talk more later, okay?" Vex said quietly, "Go."

"Mom. . ."

And then, as if he was an angel, Dean Williams whistled.

"Zep, you'll never guess what I got," He called with a grin, "A Twinkie."

Zeppelin instantly disappeared.

Vex laughed, shaking her head as Zeppelin nearly wrestled the cake out of Dean's hands.

"There are."

"What?" She asked, turning back to Aaron.

"Kids," He said, "There are kids there."

Vex wrapped her arms around herself.

"They're happy?"

"Most of the time. Guess that means they get to be normal kids, though, right?"

He offered her a small smile. And Vex returned it.

It had to be real. There was no other option.