⁰⁵, A NEW INTRODUCTION

𝐂𝐑𝐎𝐒𝐒𝐇𝐀𝐈𝐑𝐒.
chapter five; A New Introduction
Guess you can tell who got all the talkin' genes, huh? "

  DEAN WILLIAMS WAS hoping his sister would be kind to the group of newcomers but knew better than this

  DEAN WILLIAMS WAS hoping his sister would be kind to the group of newcomers but knew better than this. So, he made it his own mission to make connections while he could.

  See, while most doomsday preppers had the belief that new people meant certain death, Dean could tell these were not the kind that would kill and steal innocents. 

  He also had a deep belief that strength lay in numbers.

  Which was what he set out to do, but found someone closer than expected.

  "Hey," Dean greeted with a smile, earning the attention of both Maggie and Glenn, "Shit, you play?"

  Dean gestured to the guitar Glenn was holding, before realizing there was an awkward air settling between Glenn and Maggie.

  "Am I interrupting--"

  "Not at all," Maggie said with a smile, "You need anything?"

  "Just seein' your lovely face," Dean grinned.

  "Oh, screw off," Maggie laughed before leaving the two.

  Dean took a seat beside Glenn with a sigh, stretching out into the rocking chair.

  "Best seat in Georgia, swear to God," Dean said, looking at Glenn, "Seriously, though, you play guitar?"

  "Oh, uh, Dale found it," Glenn said, taking a seat again, "Do you?"

  "Know a couple of good ones, really get the ladies going," Dean grinned, "Well, 'ladies' if you count my sister and my niece."

  Glenn couldn't help but laugh.

  "So you guys came from Atlanta, huh?" Dean asked, "My sister lived in the city, too."

  "Really?" Glenn questioned, "She's not the most. . . open."

  "She'll get there," Dean waved off. "Tough nut to crack, but she's worth it."

  Glenn smiled, shaking his head.

  They sat in a comfortable silence for a moment, until Glenn spoke again.

  "So, um, are you and Maggie. . ."

  Dean raised an eyebrow, turning to Glenn.

  "I just. . ." Glenn said hesitantly, "Um. . ."

  "You think she's cute, nothin' wrong with that," Dean shrugged, "Mag's just like Vex to me-- met her when she was only 12."

  Glenn visibly relaxed.

  "So, you've known them a long time, huh?"

  "Oh yeah," Dean sighed, "Bought the land next to 'em, figured I'd introduce myself. That good old Southern hospitality led us to weekly dinners after church together. I helped out here when I could. With the kids and the farm. . . I needed someone like Hershel to get me into line."