⁴⁷, TOGETHER

𝐂𝐑𝐎𝐒𝐒𝐇𝐀𝐈𝐑𝐒.
chapter forty-seven; Together
" Kiss my ass, Seargent. "

  DINNER HAD WRAPPED up

DINNER HAD WRAPPED up. It was time to settle in for the night, to rest and prepare for the days ahead.

But Daryl wasn't back yet.

"Hey, Rick," Vex said quietly, approaching the man as others continued cleaning up, "Daryl went out for a walk but he seemed. . . I dunno. It's been an hour and he's not back."

Rick's face softened, looking around the room as he blew out a breath.

"Alright. Let's. . . " Rick started, only to furrow his brows, "Have you seen Carol?"

Vex shook her head, quickly looking around the room before cursing quietly.

It took them a mere hour to descend into something else altogether. Bob was missing, along with Carol and Daryl, and after a search around the woods surrounding the church that turned up nothing, Sasha's anger grew inwards.

Vex heard her questioning Gabriel, and Rick stepping in. She heard Gabriel's confession of his mistakes in the beginning of the end of the world; how he had locked the doors of the church at night, shutting even living people out.

She heard it, but it was all background noise.

They shouldn't have let their guard down. They should have been more aware, and more diligent. She should've insisted Daryl not go out alone. Or asked him to stay.

She should've done something.

Vex was pulled back into reality as she heard a person whistling outside. She turned quickly, peering out of the front window.

"There's a body out front," Vex called, silencing the room.

She moved quickly, pulling the door open with Sasha on her heels.

Others flooded out after them, Vex lifted a pistol as she scanned the forest only after glancing and realizing the body was Bob who was still breathing, despite having one less leg.

Walkers emerged from the woods, Vex switched her pistol for a pocket knife, plunging it into the forehead of one of the walkers, before hearing Rick's voice shouting for everyone to return inside. She obeyed, falling back after the walkers were killed, only entering the church once everyone else had.

Rick gave her a short nod, and Vex did not hesitate.

She walked deeper into the church, zipping open a bag and pulling out a rifle-- one that would pale in comparison to her own, but a decent one nonetheless-- before returning to the front. Bob shared what had happened with the group, revealing Daryl and Carol weren't taken, but instead drove away of their own volition.

Vex's eyes remained on the forest outside the window, her rifle raised and ready.

The only thing that made her flinch was hearing that Bob had been bit.