20 ~ The Promises

900 votes fasttt!!!

Nandani POV

The priest kept chanting the mantras and then asked both of us to stand up.

He still had not looked at me for once and his face was telling me how mad he was right now. Even I was feeling scared to talk to him now. His whole army was scattered around holding naked swords.

I stood up too and the priest asked us to take the holy rounds around the fire.

He started chanting the promises that we had to make to each other and we recited them after him one by one.

The first thing he promised was to take care of me always, our children and the family. And, in return of which I promised to look after his home and food.

In the second one, he promised to take care of me in all circumstances and I promised to stand by his stand always.

In the third one, he promised to work hard for the wealth of the family and in return, I promised to manage the best of it.

In the fourth one, he promised to entrust the responsibilities of his household to me and in return, I promised to fulfil my duties to the best of my abilities for a good living.

The fifth one, he promised to consult me in all the matters and in return I promised to support him in all his endeavours.

In the sixth one, he promised to stay loyal to me and in return, I promised to stay faithful in return.

And, just then I finished he suddenly chuckled.

"Faithful,"

He laughed lightly without looking at me and the priest recited the last one.

He promised to live his entire life with him and in return, I promised to spend my whole life with him till the end of it.

"You both can sit down now,"

The priest said and we did.

"Now, you can apply the vermillion in the partition of her hair,"

He said and I looked at my parents who just their eyes off of us.

I gulped and blinked nervously when he  collected the vermillion between his fingers and applied it to my head.

Once, twice and thrice.

My body was literally shivering in this moment.

In just a snap of finger you belong to someone. How easy yet difficult it was.

And, a little of it fell on my nose.

"Now, the wedding is complete. I announce you both husband and wife. And, now you both can take the blessings of the elders,"

The priest said and he stood up from his place.

Stepping down he walked towards the down to wear his footwear and said in a low voice.

"You have time till early morning,"

And, left leaving me there.

My mother walked towards me.

She helped me to stand up and took me inside. Ruhani and her mother followed too with Suman and my grandmother along.

She made me sit on the couch and passed me a glass of water.

With trembling fingers, I took it and drank a sip.

And, my mother kneeled down asking me in a slow voice.

"Forward your feet,"

I gulped and tears collected in my eyes realising that I was married to him now.