Elopement

You marry Satoru at the age of 19.

And you don't really how know it happens. After everything you both have been through, everything that year just... blurred.

Suguru’s betrayal had been a turning point. The four three of you changed. Shoko’s cigarette habit returned, she retreats back into her room most of the time, throwing herself at medical books; you found yourself often standing in the middle of the kitchen, silently recreating recipes Suguru and yourself would make together; and Satoru... Well, Satoru disappeared.

It’s natural that he’s sought after. He’s now the strongest, and not part of a pair. But Satoru checks out. He leaves without warning, and you don’t know what’s happening except that he’s mourning and he’s grieving, too, and you’re with two newly acquired preschoolers, and you were spending your nights coiled up and waiting for him to come home to you, and you were grasping at frayed ends to try and make things work.

Two months of half-hearted conversations on the off-chance you manage to see your own boyfriend in the dorms. Two months of near radio silence. You didn’t know what was his next move. What would he do in his grief? What would you do in the wake of it?

Apparently, the only natural thing for him to do was to return to you one night and silently slip an engagement ring onto your ring finger while you slept.

The moment you woke up to white hair and the weight of heavy limbs on your body, a warmth pressed against you that you haven’t felt in so long, the jewel on your finger was the least of your concerns.

You practically throw yourself onto him, missing the comforting warmth of your boyfriend. He’s rubbing your back as you inhaled deeply, taking in the smell of the same body wash and shampoo that you had been using.

He’s back he’s back he’s back he’s back-

“Do you trust me?” He whispers, scratching your scalp as if he had never left. You were partway into the land of dreams, but you manage to nod your head. You couldn’t find it in yourself to be mad.

Without a word, he scoops you up.

Your eyes close as you bury your face against his neck, feeling him swallow tightly. It’s as if he’s nervous, and you don’t quite know why. You try and relax, the arms hooping around his neck tightening as you try and fall back asleep.

But then you hear the main door open. And the wind is in your hair and the sun is in your eyes.

“Wha...?”

Your question dies in your throat the moment a glint refracts into your eye. You wince, squinting at the offending jewel, and stare at it in shock, awe, horror, and everything in between.

By the time your brain caught up that yes, that was a ring, he was already outside walking on the pavement, carrying you bridal-style to City Hall.

"S-Satoru..." you rasp. Did he teleport? Why were the both of you even in the city? “Wait...”

People stare at you both, and you realise with abject horror that he hadn't even given you time to brush your teeth. You're still in your pyjamas. Your hair looked like a rat's nest. You probably drooled into it.

Honestly, you don't even know if you were actually awake.

He plants a kiss on your forehead, saying nothing as he walked into the building full of civil servants. There was only one thing in his mind, and he was making a beeline for it.

"We want to get married." He says seriously to the person manning the counter. Your feet dangle in the air, you don't have any shoes on. The best Satoru's got were the fluffy house slippers you bought for him, once upon a time.