Chapter 11: Fat Birds

As soon as Yuan Xi got out of the car, a fire rushed towards him and then his vision went dark.

His head was covered by black hair, so he reached up and pulled a hairball off his face. He then met a pair of mung bean eyes. Yuan Xi remained quiet. It looked like a bird's face....

The small mung bean eyes also looked a bit silly. The hairball stared at him, then it muttered and began to call, and also flailed its limbs as it struggled in his grip.

It fluttered so hard that it dislodged a pile of fiery red feathers, causing Yuan Xi to sneeze and let it go. As soon as it was released, it became more energetic. The smooth, round body of the creature flapped its wings, huffing and puffing, as it flew up. Unfortunately, it was so fat that its wings couldn't support it. After flying for a moment, it looked for a place to land, fell, and squatted down.

Yuan Xi's head sank.... A cloud of black lines hung over his forehead.

The damn fat bird squatted on his head!

F*cking egg! Fat bird, you think you're a little bird, but your round body is just like a watermelon! You want to crush laozi* to death, ah!

*laozi = "old master", angry/arrogant way to refer to oneself

The fat bird was unaware of the killing intent aimed at it from just under its buttocks. It just felt like it stood tall and was able to look far; it has never been so high in the entirety of its birdy life! It felt so heroic that it could not help cooing again.

This scene made all the onlookers laugh.

Translated by lazysoozan () on bbmtls.wordpress.com

At this time, the long-time workers from the breeding area rushed over and saw the scene. They were amused but didn't dare to show it on their face. They didn't know what to do.

The fat bird crouched on a guest's head. He started to grab it, but felt it was not right to grab it, so stopped. God, what kind of hospitality was this? Will they be fired...? Suddenly, there was some confusion.

Yuan Xi wanted to make his own way in life and drag the fat bird down himself, but who knew the fat bird was awfully spirited? Its fat claws gripped Yuan Xi's hair to death, sitting firmly on his head as steady as Mount Tai without budging an inch...

Yuan Xi tugged at it for half the day*, causing his head and scalp to ache. There truly was no way for him to pull it down, so he had to ask what was the matter.

*半天 literally means "half the day" but it essentially means "a long time" or "quite a while"

The long-term hired hand stammered out the whole story from beginning to end.

It turned out that this was a Sutou bird. There were a group of approximately 30 Sutou birds on Wang Qingnian's farm. Wang Qingnian recently raised a batch of chicks as the Sutou birds' eggs have been selling well. However, this Sutou bird was both male and female, and couldn't be differentiated at all.

Therefore, once they all grow up, the ones who can lay eggs are determined to be female while the ones who cannot lay eggs are males. The males are not very useful and can also cause trouble, so it was customary to catch and slaughter them to sell their meat.

This fat bird has never laid eggs. It was practical to let it stay for longer if it looks like it will be a mother, but it has been more than 10 days and it still hasn't laid an egg. It certainly must be a male.

As a result, the long-term hired hand wanted to catch and kill it today. Who would have thought that the bird was very smart, jumping like a chicken or a dog*, so that no one could catch it? Also, letting him squat on the guest's head.