Chapter 8-Roman

I watch as the girl and Seth walk out of my office. I was a little taken aback by her; I didn't expect her to be so...interesting? That's an understatement because I want to follow her to her room and listen to her talk in that angel's voice for hours. No woman has ever caught my attention like that before. I've had my fair share, but it was always hookups. I've never had trouble getting a woman; they're always willing to bed an Alpha. I only kept affairs outside my pack, though. That shit can get too messy, and I have way better things to worry about than catfights between pack members over petty love disputes.

I pour myself a glass of bourbon while I think about this girl. If she wasn't Seth's sister, I'd be suspicious about her; a fake mate bond is no easy feat. But I didn't detect a lie, and I've heard her brother talk shit on the fake mate plenty of times before he even knew the mating bond wasn't natural. I growl when I think about her and another man, my wolf Adonis only feeding my anger with his own jealousy.

Seriously, my wolf likes her too?

'She held our gaze, that in itself interested me.' he replies nonchalantly. He had a point; no one except another Alpha could hold my gaze. Regardless he never had anything to say about any woman I've bedded. He just wanted his mate, as did I. But this girl was obviously not our mate.

I've grown impatient waiting for my fated mate, I'm 26, and most Alphas have produced an heir by now. Not that it makes me weaker than any other Alpha, but if something happened to me, my pack would fall into the hands of my Beta; not that he's incapable, but he's just that, a Beta. I've toyed around with the idea of a chosen mate, but it just doesn't sit well with me. I want the mate the Moon Goddess picked out for me, my perfect match. The one who can tame my anger and keep me sane.

Amara, she could be Luna material, based on what I saw. I tossed down her file. She's going to be trouble, I've only had one conversation with her, and I'm already throwing around the L word. I would have to devise an excuse for putting her on the third floor. She's not really here for protection, but I don't think the Beta will back down easily. He'll probably convince Alpha Gunther to send a few search parties out for her. Who knows what lengths he would go to if he went to the trouble of tying her to him through a fake mate bond.

My pack was untouchable; we had the highest-trained warriors and added more daily. I've taken down plenty of useless packs and absorbed them into my own, so I'm not worried a simple Beta will threaten me. But that would work as an excuse for now.

Pushing her out of my mind, I throw the rest of my glass back and head outside to observe warrior training. I gave Seth the day off to help his sister settle, so my Beta, Aston, will lead training today.

I usually like to show up for training and any other pack events. I make a point to be as involved in my pack members' daily lives. I know each pack member and continuously check-in to ensure they have everything they need. I can't expect my pack to be loyal to me if I'm only a face they see every now and again.

As I stand on the field, I receive a couple greetings and smiles. I'm doing my best to stay focused on watching training and helping wherever possible. Still, my mind keeps wandering back to Amara. She's probably asleep. I wonder how a she-wolf with next to no training could make that journey. A trained wolf would even have an issue; the problem is the rogue-infested lands. If she made it out of there without being seen, that's impressive, and she might prove to be useful amongst my shadows, who were my expert tracker wolves.

It didn't escape me how excited she looked when I said she could train.

Alpha Gunther's pack is by far one of the weakest in the allied packs. The idiot leaves borders wide open for rogues to get in rather than training his women. He's even had a couple vampire attacks, which is pathetic. Vampires and werewolves are mortal enemies, but we still make it a point to not bother each other. Also, vampires are much weaker than werewolves, so if they think they have a chance at invading an entire pack, there's clearly something wrong.