Chapter 17-Roman

I'm a little surprised Amara turned down the offer of not working, but I understood a little when she said she never had a job. I don't know a whole lot about her life in the old pack, but if she needed something as simple as a job to bring her any type of joy, I wouldn't say no. Plus, this means she'll be in my office with me, and hopefully I'll get plenty of repeats from this morning.

I should be concerned that I'm already this attached, but honestly what do I have to lose? The Goddess seems to have deemed me unworthy of a mate, and Amara is the only woman who has ever caught my attention. If I want to be around her, then I'm not going to deny myself unless she says she doesn't want me. We've been sitting on the bed, my arm around her, in a comfortable silence for a couple minutes when I hear her stomach grumble and I smile

"Come on, let's go eat." I say and she groans

"Goddess damned stomach, I was comfortable!" she pouts

"Well, I don't plan on losing my arms any time soon so you'll have another chance. I'm hungry too."

"Fine, but if you lose your arms after lunch then I'm going to shave your head in your sleep" she says, still pouting

"That seems unfair, I would already be down 2 arms but you would punish me further by taking away my hair?"

"Yep. So don't lose your arms and we won't have any problems" she laughs as she walks through the door I'm holding open for her. I've heard her laugh many times in the last 3 days, but each time I smile at the beautiful sound.

"Oh by the way can I let my cat out of my room? I feel bad that I'll be keeping him locked up now that I won't be locked up in there with him"

"Sure. I think there's another cat or two roaming around the pack house. They seem to make everyone happy. How long have you had him?"

"As long as I've been here" she laughs nervously but continues "Once I got out of the areas infested by rogues I found a thicket to sleep in and I woke up with him there, then we shared a breakfast and I carried him to your border." she explains

"How did you make it through those lands? I've seen fully trained warriors not make it out of there alive." I ask, genuinely curious. I could tell she would be a skilled fighter with proper training, but she didn't even know basic offense attacks. I see her avert her gaze and fidget with the hem of her dress.

"A lot of patience and hiding in bushes. My wolf was in control most of the time, and she's a lot more graceful than I am." she says, still avoiding my gaze. She's obviously holding something back, and I can't help my curiosity

"Hm. So what is it you don't want to tell me?"

"It just wasn't a pleasant time. I was attacked but managed to get away." she says and I instantly feel bad.

"I'm sorry, I was just curious" I say honestly

"It's fine, I'm just still trying to absorb everything that has happened in the last couple days" she says and shrugs. I don't know what else to say, so I stop walking and pull her to my chest. I feel her wrap her arms around my waist and inhale deeply, which instantly perks Adonis up. He paces around in my head, upset at her sadness. 'Will you chill? She's fine. She's safe with us' I tell him, he doesn't stop though. 'I want to run with her. Tell her to run with us.' he says bluntly 'Does now really seem like a good time for that? What's up with you anyways? I've barely heard from you and now you show up acting ridiculous.' he doesn't respond to this and just retreats into the back of my mind where he came from. Bloody stupid wolf.

She pushes herself off of me after a minute and continues walking to the lunch table where she sits by Violet, who looks between us and raises her eyebrows. Little shit must smell me on her, great I'll never hear the end of this one. I love my youngest sister but she's a menace.

'Don't make a scene. She's had a rough couple days. Give the girl a week before you start bullying her.' I mindlink her before she can open her mouth. She just smiles suspiciously nice at her.

'You like her don't you?' she teases

'Yes I fucking do' this shocks her, her eyes widen and her jaw drops. Damn, was it really that shocking? Without missing a beat, Violet turns to her

"Hey Amara! How did you like training this morning?" she asks. I narrow my eyes, but it seems innocent enough. I turn to Aston and Max, still eavesdropping on their conversations just in case I need to put a spider in her hair later.

I get lost in conversation with Aston and Max, and Violet seized her opportunity to convince Amara to go into the town shopping center with her after lunch. I shoot daggers at Violet

'Stop, if you like her then I want to get to know her. She actually seems cool. I don't even want to get in the way, you're always a jackass when you don't get laid and we're due for your nice alter ego to show up any time now'

'Shithead.' I say before cutting the link. At least she'll hopefully start to mingle with the pack a little more. Violet is quite seriously friends with everyone in the pack, so she'll force Amara into a million different conversations with others. The little brat could talk your ear off. Deciding to trust her with Amara, I go back to eating.