Chapter 52-Amara

The second Aylin and I cleared the treeline, every single vampire turned their head to us. I smiled wickedly as the distraction cost some of them, their throats getting torn out before they could even process they found what they were looking for. To their credit, not one single wolf looked at us, refusing to be distracted. Making sure my mental shields were in place, I let loose any hold I had on my power as it surged to my fingertips and the vampires that remained, fell to the ground writhing as I focused on all their nerve endings. They were all dead in an instant as their opponents ripped them to shreds.

There was a split second of silence before I felt the vibration of feet on the ground. We all braced ourselves, and then a herd of vampires cleared the borderline and jumped right onto us. Black tinted the edges of my vision and I didn't fight it away this time. I knew my eyes must have been completely black because the battlefield before me took on a dark tint. I spared myself a quick look at my mate who was effortlessly holding his own as three vampires attacked him. None would be aiming to kill me, only to disarm and immobilize. I would use that to my advantage. Calling my twin blades to my hands, and with my magic propelling me forward, I unleashed myself.

I ran full speed into the chaos, slicing the heads off several vampires that got in my way. Black blood sprayed my face, but I had a plan, I just needed them all to notice me. Two vampires jumped in front of me, but had the good sense to hesitate and look a little uneasy as I smiled at them. I didn't waste energy using my muscles, I simply imagined their necks turning to dust in my fists, and they were on the ground dead before I could even tell you what color hair they had. Several more noticed me then, but I continued weaving my way in and out of the bloodbath.

I took mental notes of the few fallen wolves I saw, promising to avenge each of them. My blades easily sliced through cold flesh as I weaved in and out. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a big brown wolf get thrown to the ground by at least five bloodsuckers. I didn't hesitate as I blasted my powers at three of them, and my dagger came to my hand before I flicked it at a fourth, hitting him right between the eyes. I ran to the brown wolf's side. Instantly, it was on its feet and jumped on one of the ones I blasted back. The remaining three turned to me, taking me in. I saw recognition cross their features before I struck them with magic. Their eyes glazed over as I stripped their senses, and then they all lost their heads.

Panting, and feeling a little wild I continued to run through the fight. At some point, when the blades felt heavier than usual in my arms, I felt Tamisra nudge me. I called my blades back to their place on my back and let her forward. I could feel she was feeling that same wildness I was as she raked her claws down a vampire's face before crushing his skull in her jaw.

As we got back to the treeline, knowing several vampires were following me, I caught sight of Aylin, who was taking on eight vampires, effortlessly. I wanted so badly to stop and admire her as she grabbed one by the head and jumped over his body, pulling his head off with her movements and kicking the other in the face, but I only propelled our legs to go faster and jumped over her just as one was about to land on her back. His skull was dust before me and Tamisra even laid paws on the ground. Aylin easily finished off the remaining vamps as she turned to me. Her black eyes mirrored my own as I shifted back into human form in front of her

"You wolves are so indecent, all that magic at your disposal and you still shift back completely nude." she says as she turns, noting the crowd of vampires that followed me. "Ah. I see you brought a party with you"

I grin at her, noting how the vampires mid battle with the other wolves abandon their opponents and turn their complete attention to both of us. Both Aylin and I reach out, her magic seems to incinerate them on the spot while mine takes longer, immobilizing them and then crushing their throats. Those in the back are attacked by the wolves they turned their back on as Aylin and I continue to take down row after row of them.

As we hit what has to be the last of them, I notice my magic getting sluggish-it takes longer to strip their senses, and even longer to crush their throats. Just when I think that has to be the last of them, more wolves jump into battle, easily outnumbering the few vampires left.

I breathe a sigh of relief, letting my magic relax as my vision fades back to normal. I put my hands to my knees and look at Aylin, who's breathing as heavily as me. She meets my gaze with a nod

"Well done. Now go find some damn clothes." she says

I shake my head letting out a sound that really wanted to be a chuckle, but was more of a squeak. I desperately scan the crowd, trying to find my mate's huge black wolf, or those ice blue eyes amongst the chaos. When I find him, his eyes meet mine and overwhelming relief hits me. I don't know if it's mine or his or both, but regardless we run at each other. I instantly scan his body for injuries. I let myself breathe when I only see a few bruises and scratches, which are already healing. I look down at myself then, realizing I'm covered in blood, all black, none my own. Hot hands cup my face as I raise my now green eyes to his blue.

"Are you hurt?" he says shakily

"Not even a little" I say back, my voice hoarse. He only nods and pulls me to him, both of us still breathing heavily.

"I left two alive, Alpha. You want them in the dungeons?" I hear Seth's voice and whip around to face him. I thank the Goddess when I find only an already scabbing gash on his left shoulder.

"Yes. I'll meet you there in 20." Roman says back to him. Seth turns his attention to me

"And you. Remind me to never piss you off again." he says to me

"I give you an hour before you forget about that and do some dumb shit." I say back, trying to match his lighthearted tone but...I just can't.

Now that the adrenaline is worn off, there's nothing about this I can joke around about. I watch as several pack doctors and nurses are running around, tending to the wolves who's healing hasn't caught up with them. Then I watch as the warriors kneel over their fallen friends. All of this, all of this for me. Roman squeezes my shoulder as the guilt and sorrow wrap itself around me.

"The first battle you fight in is always the worst. It gets easier" he says

"Why should it get easier? Why should I feel anything but devastated as I look at the dead wolves around us?" I whisper back to him, and he purses his lips but doesn't say anything. I can feel the grief rolling off of him, and I know that part definitely hasn't gotten any easier for him.

"Head back to the packhouse. I'll be in the dungeons for most of the night. Just go to be-"

"I'll meet you in the dungeons once I wash this filth off of me" I say, I may be exhausted, but so was he, and if he was going to get answers out of the vampires they left alive, then I would be there too.

"I'll also be joining. Amara can portal us there." Aylin says cutting in.

Roman only nods, he knew I wouldn't simply go to bed, but he had to try.

"Meet me outside of my room in 20 minutes" I tell Aylin before I grab Roman's hand and portal us into our bathroom.