Chapter 12-Roman

I lead Amara back to the pack house after we leave Blair's. We're both silent the whole way and I see her make her way back to her room. I wish I said something to make her feel better, but I was just as lost. I wasn't expecting her to say it wasn't witches magic. There's a lot of possibilities on what it could be from then, but the question that remains is why Amara?
I go to my office to find Aston waiting by my door.
"Hey, man. I have the monthly pack budgets for you to sign off" he says, I raise an eyebrow at him. Normally he just leaves shit like that on my desk.
"Ok, thanks. Come in."
"I saw you walking around with that new pack member earlier" ah, there's the ulterior motive
"Well a lot of people probably did, it wasn't exactly a secret."
"Since when does the Alpha himself show any new pack member around, you've clearly taken an interest in her" he says, waggling his eyebrows at me. I'm silent for a moment, and his eyes go wide
"No shit, really? Is she your mate?" he says before I can deny what he's saying. I let out a sigh
"No."
"But you like her?"
"She piqued my interest, that's all" I say wanting this conversation to be over
"Taking a chosen mate isn't the worst thing in the world, you know. I know you're ready to settle down, and the pack needs a Luna. The Beta and Gamma females don't mind doing the Luna duties, but it doesn't have the same effect with the pack members, man. Your pack will stand behind you no matter who you choose, you deserve to be happy." he says, putting his hand on my shoulder
"We'll see, I barely know her, and you know her less than me and you've already decided she's Luna material?"
"All I saw was that you took an interest in her, that's never happened. Plus, you need to get laid you're grumpy" I punch his shoulder in response and shake my head. He exits my office without another word, and I tackle the pile of paperwork left for me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Its 10pm now, and I'm wandering back towards my room, a glass of bourbon in hand. I pass her door, her scent is heavy as I breathe in her jasmine and coconut scent. She didn't come out of her room all day, Seth brought her food up to her and he was in there for awhile, so I assume she filled him in. I would have to ask him his thoughts about this later. I look at my hands, and wonder if I would be able to counter the magic on her. I watch black mist start to cloud over my fingertips before I take a breath and pull it back in.
This is something no one except my beta and Blair know about me. I'm a hybrid. My magic awoke on my 16th birthday. I remember walking into my parents' room, a black mist surrounding my hands with pitch black eyes. My mother instantly realized her mistake. Her father, my grandfather, was a demon mated to my grandmother, a werewolf. The demon gene skipped over my mother, so she didn't think she would be able to pass it onto her children. Why her father had never educated her on the history of our family, I do not know. But after we did our own research on the matter, she discovered that the type of magic my grandfather has is passed onto the first male heir. My mother was his only child, making me the next in line. It took a lot of effort to get it under control, and there's not a lot of mentors willing to work with a demon's magic. If the wielder is not in control, it can easily be unleashed to its full power, which could wipe out entire towns and reap havoc wherever it is. Eventually we found the son of the man who trained her father, and he agreed to help, despite not continuing his father's business. Our demon magic originates from Haures himself, so not having control over it would be catastrophic.
What documented history there was on my demon side and history was very limited. When she contacted him about me, her father explained that 1500 years ago, our ancestors ruled over a small kingdom that was under constant attack. Eventually it got so bad, the kingdom was going to fall. So my however-many-great-great-grandfather summoned Haures to ask for his wife and unborn son's salvation. They received salvation but the price was his soul. Not much was said other than when his wife gave birth to his son, he was a demon-werewolf hybrid. The demon gene was only passed to the males, while any females were born as werewolves with no demon qualities. Outside of my demon magic, I have a demon form. In my demon form, the power of my magic is amplified and I can withstand fire of any temperature, pass through walls, and anyone near me with magic is able to use me as their infinite powerhouse and vice versa.
I run my hand through my hair, and realize I'm still standing outside her door. Hopefully she can't smell me, I probably look like a creep. I finally go back to my own room. I'm still lost in thought as I get in the shower, wondering about contacting Blair and seeing if my magic would help. When I'm done, I throw on a pair of black track pants, refill my glass of bourbon and walk out to the balcony for some fresh air. A gentle breeze touches my skin and I inhale deeply as it carries jasmine and coconut. I look over to where her balcony would be and see her figure standing facing the garden. Before I can even stop myself, I speak.
"Can't sleep?"