Chapter 42-Amara

I want to stand up, but I know my knees will wobble. So I stay sitting, focusing on my mate's and my soul sister's touch to keep me grounded. Roman must mindlink everyone except Seth and Sophie to leave, because everyone gets up and quickly evacuates the living room. Honestly, I barely notice. I'm still staring at the man who I'm supposed to call dad, and trying not to fall into the abyss of my emotions while I do so.

"I..." I start to say but trail off, not really knowing where I was going with it, but I feel like I need to speak. I didn't really expect it to be this emotional, ignorantly I guess. In the abstract, it was much easier to think about him. But with him, my father, standing here in front of me, reminding me that I have a parent who's alive, is bringing up so many feelings.

Stupid, stupid feelings. I don't know a damn thing about him. He could be a sadist, he could be a homophobe, he could hate women. I mean, he's the demon overlord from the underworld, he probably has some seriously sadistic side of him that loves to torture people. Maybe he's enjoying seeing me sitting here, feeling tortured.

'You know how wrong that last part is, Amara. As for the rest, I don't know. Give him a chance, he's the reason you're alive and free. Not dead, or imprisoned by the vampires.' Tamisra says

'Thank you, oh wise wolf.' I say sarcastically, but I feel some tension ease off and I know she does too because she gives me a cocky snort. Arrogant wolf, too bad I can't hide my emotions from her.

"You don't have to say anything, and I don't know how much Evelyn and Marcus told you, but given the power that radiates off you, I'm going to assume you know the basics-" My father starts, but I cut him off

"I know you're my actual father, that I'm the tribrid, and that my biological mother...isn't..." I start but trail off again. Pure agony flickers in his eyes at that last part, and I cringe, but keep speaking "Anyways, my wolf is holding back my angel powers. I've done some experimenting with the demon side, but nothing huge. I haven't known for very long and I'm freshly mated...the bond snapped into place when the seal you put on it broke. So I've been a little... preoccupied since then." I finish, and his eyes flash, but he immediately contains the anger.

I want to scoff, but I don't. I mean seriously, I'm almost 22. Did he expect me not to be mated? Most females find their mates before they turn 20. A lot actually find their mates at 18. I waited for my mate, my true mate, and went through more than enough before I found him. I find myself scooting closer to Roman and putting a possessive arm around his, but squeezes my leg

'My love, he just found his daughter, and he immediately has to give her up to another male he doesn't know. Give him a break, he cares for you.' Roman says through the mindlink and I again fight off the scoff. Seriously, give me up? Like I'm a possession? I start to think up a snarky comeback, but I'm pulled back by my father's response, directed at me.

"We can talk about the tribrid stuff later. If it's okay with you, I would like to get to know my daughter first. I've spent years dreaming of the only child I was able to have with my mate, I wasn't allowed the privilege of raising you, or of even checking in on you to make sure you were okay, maybe learning something about you along the way. I didn't even know what you looked like-who you looked like. So yes, I have spent all the time since I learned what you were planning how I would help you learn and get past these coming trials, but first, I would just simply like to know you." he says, sincerely. But then he adds, a little reluctantly if I was reading his emotions correctly "and I would of course like to get to know the hybrid you're mated with" he grumbles

I laugh at that, and Roman huffs, but I can sense that he isn't at all offended, if anything awestruck. I suppose this would be his king, he must feel some sort of loyalty towards him, beyond that desire to please him solely because he's mated to his king's daughter.