Chapter 64-Amara

I was finally discharged after my next ultrasound. My powers and Tamisra returned about two hours after my first ultrasound, so I insisted I was ready to go home. But considering it was already eight at night, Roman and the nurses convinced me to stay. I'm at least allowed to eat again, and goddess, I'm fucking ravenous. I feel like I can't eat enough. Roman and the nurse, Jess, tried to get me to slow down, but at my ultrasound, Dr. Crowen said as long as I can handle it, I should eat whenever I want to keep up with baby girl's growth rate.

Speaking of, she gained another two ounces overnight. It didn't sound like a big deal to me, but I have no knowledge of anything in the medical field. Dr. Crowen said it was very significant, given that wolf pups are expected to gain two ounces weekly at this stage. Everything points to me going into labor at the end of the month, which I don't want to think about.

But this isn't exactly something I can just block out. Thankfully, my dad offered to take on getting the house "babyproofed," get off all the things we'll need, and set the nursery up. I was a little disappointed at the last part, I wanted Roman and I to do that together, but I do not want the threat of Silas around once our daughter is born. The idea of him touching her...no, I won't go there, or I may very well destroy the conference room we are now sitting in.

As soon as we got home, I insisted that we meet with Samirah and Damon to hear what information they had and make our battle plan. Roman and I agree that we make and execute a plan as quickly as possible. We're beyond the point of waiting for them to come to us; we will go to them and end this.

So, here we are in the packhouse conference room. Roman said his office was "out of commission until further notice," which I took to mean as he destroyed it in a blind rage. That broke my heart; I can't begin to imagine what he went through while I was gone. Seth said he hardly slept, while I spent most of my time in captivity unconscious. To be awake all that time with all the what-ifs running through his head...

"Aylin should be here any minute. I just went to check on her, and she was finishing up business with the royal council." my father says, entering the room and pulling me out of my thoughts.

"Is everything okay?" I asked him; Roman told me that Aylin had abruptly gone home after she left the hospital last night, offering no explanation as to why

"Yes, it's just a quarterly meeting, completely routine. She prefers to be present for any meeting rather than have myself, Azrael, or the duke and duchess go in her place," Dad says smoothly, sitting down.

I narrow my eyes at him. Something tells me he's leaving something out. I eye him as he sits, and he gives me a long look telling me not to press the issue. I don't; having vampires on the territory may be unsettling for her. Later, I'll ask her privately if she wants to talk about it.

Roman and I sit at the head of the conference table, my father diagonal to him and Seth next. Aylin's seat is opposite Dad's, then Az and Max's. Samirah and Damon will be chained and with guards at the opposite end of the table. I tried telling everyone they could be trusted, that I knew it in my gut, but Roman insisted it just for precaution. They're being kept in regular rooms, at least. Guards are posted at their doors and balconies at all times. Still, they're being treated humanely and fed with donated blood from the hospital.

We all sit in tense silence, our earlier banter and fun gone, replaced by the seriousness of our current situation. Everyone is ready to end this now, just as Roman and I are. We all look up as Aylin enters the room. Her long hair, which she usually leaves free, is up; braids on both sides of her head leading to an elegant bun, with a silver and black crown that rests atop her head. While I was used to seeing her in casual clothes here, she was in a floor-length dark green velvet gown, similar to the one she wore when I first met her.